DAMAGED MAST FOOT ODAY 222

Oct 3, 2009
oday 222 lbi nj
The mast on my Oday 222 was ripped off the boat in Hurricane Jose. The foot of the mast is damaged from the screws that had been holding it in place. I am thinking about cutting about cutting an inch off the bottom of the mast but worried about getting a straight cut and the length of the stays. Does anyone have any advise?
Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Doesn't look too bad.
I wonder how work-hardened that bit that sticks out may be.

I'd try gently straightening it. "If it breaks, it probably needed fixing anyway."

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
I would cut and shim with a piece of Trex between deck and tabernacle to maintain original height. Use a stainless hose clamp as a guide if doing with hacksaw or use a metal cutting blade on a chop saw. Piece of cake.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
A Sawzall with the right blade, i.e., not too fine, will go through that like butter. I like the cut and shim idea. Maybe you could get a scrap of that stock from a spar shop and have it welded on?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I too like the cut and shim idea. Cut an inch, shim the base plate off the deck an inch. Use a plastic decking material and it will last. Just cut the same amount off the mast as the shim material you use.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
To get a nice square line for your cut wrap a stiff piece of paper around it twice tightly and align the edges and mark. A dollar bill works well on smaller diameters. A basic hacksaw takes a little more time cutting but gives you more control to stay on the line. I'm not sure about the shimming ideas above until I see how the mast step and mounting plates are designed. May be an easier method. How much stay take up do you have?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Looks to me like you might only have to take off 1/2 inch. You might not even have to shim - maybe you've got enough take up in the turnbuckles? Though, as the guys have been saying, removing the deck plate and shimming would be super easy to do. I would not use Trex (bits of wood splinters mixed with plastic,) but maybe a piece of Starboard. Actually, I'd buy a piece of G10 from McMaster-Carr. Then again, Rig-Rite sells a replacement foot for the Z-Spars mast (you have a Dwyer, not a Z-Spars) but it doesn't have the same aluminum casting with integral sheaves for internal halyards the way the original Z-Spars did. And what do they send with the new kit? A 2" hunk of plastic that looks very much like ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (StarBoard). So... My paranoia about UHMWPE is that it can creep under load (so don't use it for backer plates.) This is why I'd use G10 board, which is way overkill. But if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Oct 3, 2009
oday 222 lbi nj
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go with the chop saw method. I think I could get away with taking only 1/2 inch and I have that much left in my turnbuckles that it I would not need to shim the mast but I am wondering if the shorter mast would effect the jib tension.
My bigger problem is the cause of the problem, which is that the bulkhead weakened and the chainplate and support brackets broke through the deck. The bulkhead has a big area of weakness. Any suggestions on a fix for that?
Thanks again

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
As far as fixing the mast base, here are picture of TRINKA, our old friend Joe Alve's 222. He had to repair the butt of his mast due to corrosion I think. He also had to rebuild the bulkhead where the chainplates attached, so here is a pic that seems to show that. He used what looks like teak blocks under the mast step.

Attachments

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
The mast on my Oday 222 was ripped off the boat in Hurricane Jose. The foot of the mast is damaged from the screws that had been holding it in place. I am thinking about cutting about cutting an inch off the bottom of the mast but worried about getting a straight cut and the length of the stays. Does anyone have any advise?
Thanks
I had similar damage when my mast came down. I found a local welder who welded a reinforcement around bottom of the mast and re drilled the holes. It worked great.