Damaged Compression Post - Thoughts?

Oct 31, 2017
Catalina 22 8728 Trailered
I have the the following concerns:
Why the screws that were put in before? They make no sense unless the post had been split before along the long axis and “fixed”?
Many things on my boat were done kind of slipshod by previous owners. In this case, screws were to mount a wiring loom to run electrical going topside.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Many things on my boat were done kind of slipshod by previous owners. In this case, screws were to mount a wiring loom to run electrical going topside.

UFB -- Did the the PO ever hear of black wire ties????

Oct 31, 2017
That is a pretty straight "crack". Are you sure it is not a OEM glue seam?
Update: the "split" really is a glue seam as Ron suggested, joined with some varnish-like adhesive. I've rough sanded the halves but can't get a really tight seam. Considered doweling to strengthen the glue joint but it's starting to look like replacement is the best option. I'll probably continue to peck at this while I look for a solid replacement, I hate to discard teak.

20180426_182254.jpg 20180426_182307.jpg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
+1 for @Gene Neill : can’t do better than epoxy for bond strength
In this case the epoxy would operating in shear. It the two pieces being mated are clean, and “marry up” true, then I think it could be fine. If not, I’d be concerned.

Oct 31, 2017
Well, I did glue it and thanks to some material that stayed on the wrong half when I split it, got an absolutely perfect alignment. Seems like it should be OK, since it was the design of the original part. If what I read about Titebond II is accurate, if it fails it won't be the glue bond.

For those fearing for the durability of this course of action, I am looking at a replacement as well. If my repair holds up, I can always pass it to the next owner in need.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2007
- - Long Beach
Sorry I'm late to the party but I found Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer and it works great for restoring/rot proofing wood. I think every boat owner should know about their products, Jamestown now has their own brand of CPES. They also make a glue for teak. Take a look, it's good stuff.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Well, I did glue it and thanks to some material that stayed on the wrong half when I split it, got an absolutely perfect alignment. Seems like it should be OK, since it was the design of the original part. If what I read about Titebond II is accurate, if it fails it won't be the glue bond.

For those fearing for the durability of this course of action, I am looking at a replacement as well. If my repair holds up, I can always pass it to the next owner in need.
AWESOME! That's how I would do it. It will work great. Now, put a great finish on it and make it a centerpiece on your boat.:thumbup:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If I had glued it like that, I think that I might be inclined to also wrap the whole thing in 1/4" 3-strand rope. It would certainly stop the post from ever coming apart & it might look kind of nauti-cool too.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Looks great to me. The phrase "absolutely perfect alignment" says it all. Well done.