D950 Kubota/Universal M25XP Gearcase seal

Aug 11, 2010
Catalina 30 30 Mk 11 Brisbane
Hi,
This is one for the mechanical gurus who know the Kubota diesel intimately...
I'm a little confused about final assembly of pulley onto crankshaft after fitting new oil seal and new collar on crankshaft. The service manual states that once fan drive pulley is fitted crankshaft nut should torqued up to 110-115 ft lbs. However the manual states that care should be taken not to overtighten nut to avoid damaging oil slinger washer on the crankshaft. The way my engine fits together the pulley face butts up to the collar (even after hand tightening nut) which in turn contacts with the oil slinger. I was proposing to torque up the nut with my 18V impact wrench but I'm now worried I may do some damage. I can't see how you can achieve a fairly high torque required on this nut whilst not transferring some of the force required to other components. Am I being unduly concerned or is there a better way?
Service manual also states that the lock washer should have an edge folded onto nut before torquing up? This can't be right can it? Something lost in translation. Cheers

Jun 19, 2014
Catalina 36 Cape Canaveral , Florida
The reason the torque in important is because you do not want to push the callor into the oil Slinger and damage it. The lock washer does go on before you torque the nut. After torquing you bend up the retaining tab. The manual says to heat up the pulley and then torque to specifications and then bend up washer tab. Rebuilt my m25xp last year.