Current State of Things

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Down in the 30s this morning, but it's warmed up to about 47 now. Still too cold for me...I thrive in the hundred degree summer season! Fishing sucks down here in the winter season, because it rains so much that all the saltwater turns practically fresh, and all the creeks and rivers flood and it washes all the catfish out into places that are almost impossible to get to. Not to mention, rains also bring cold fronts, so it usually gets too cold for fishing after showers anyway. Can't wait till spring...

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Nice to see a thread on the fact that it is colder than a well diggers.... and longing for the days of summer to come has degraded in to what ever the hell this is now..... SMH. No wonder people are bailing. I regret starting it.....
My goodness.......... its not only cold outside

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
It's warmer at the north pole and Mars. Currently -26 F. Oh and we closed the post office all over the state too, no mail tomorrow. Until further notice, Minnesota is closed

Jun 29, 2010
One reality is there are those that cannot stay home in this weather. Went to a firefighter ceremony tonight. Saw commendations and 4 come off probation. Most in the audience were at a fire near my place today. My youngest nephew is a Minneapolis fireman. First responders can't and don't say it's too cold.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Ok someone has to say it. It's not that bad out there! It's -25 feels like -53 in southern mn and I still started the car outside without even a coat! It's cold yes but common it's been a mild winter. People talk about this like it's the end of the world. I'm going in to work today because I can't find a good excuse not to. Farmers are feeding animals in the cold and I work indoors so what do I have to complain about. The key is good vehicle maintenance and proper attire if your going to be outside for extended times.

When I first moved to the state I serviced wind towers and yes we worked many times in -30 temps climbing 300 feet into the air to fix a tower that was broken so there was no heat! Dress properly and enjoy the day it's not that bad!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The cold weather here today and even colder tomorrow (-15*F) sure makes me hope that the company I paid to winterize the boat completely displaced the water in the engine, HW tank and freshwater distribution systems. I sure would hate to have that fight come spring and how liable are the boat mechanic companies?, I know he does many of the boats in the yard, which could add up to a very large number quickly.
@LakeShark I always wondered who was up on that tower, man you couldn't pay me enough to do that work in those conditions.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The key is good vehicle maintenance and proper attire if your going to be outside for extended times.
I think anything less than all-wheel drive will lead to more problems than necessary. Except for my libertarian ideals, I'd suggest, in the North, rear-wheel drive should be banned.
Oh, and good winter tires are a must.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
rear-wheel drive should be banned.
That spoil the fun of summer time doing donuts in the parking lot to impress the girls and fund the local tire repair shops.

Maybe you guys need to help the economy and have 2 cars... One for summer and one for winter.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I always wondered who was up on that tower, man you couldn't pay me enough to do that work in those conditions.
It was cold yes but you just kept the truck running if it was a short repair and climbed slow. Key is when climbing in -30 wear a full face mask and dont breath heavy / sweat. Sweat will freeze to you at the top and breathing heavy will burn your lungs and could cause you to cough up blood at the top. You just need to use common sense and climb slow. First order of business is get a space heater running to warm your hands then get to work on the repair. At that temp it may take hours to get oils up to an operating temp. I did not love it every day but looking back on it I would do it again. Pay was good, coworkers cared about one another and everyone worked as a team. Wind techs regardless of the company they work for are a good group of guys. Oh and average wind speed on the top of the tower in MN was 20mph year round (double ground speed). I did not even bother to think about wind chill at that point!

Oh, and good winter tires are a must.
Rear wheel is fun! You can even do donuts easier! I must say I never saw a need for snow tires. Yes there nice but in really if you drive smart you should not be speeding or tailgating on slick roads anyway so the shorter stopping distance is not needed. The plows do a great job in MN and in the cities they put down so much salt you can hear the undercarriage rust (I hate driving in the cities for this reason) Many times I have been passed by someone while driving on snow covered roads only to come around the next corner and see them in the ditch. Always a humbling experience to pass a guy in a pick up only to have him pull out a strap and get you back out of the ditch. Funny they don't seem to pass again after that.

My point is that its Minnesota and its cold so how is that news? We get a week or two like this every year but this year you would swear that everyone was going to die! Its just not that bad. Schools are closed, some business are closed but banks, restaurants, and most normal people are still going to work to make a living. If you work out doors you take extra precautions, if you work indoors you turn the heat up a degree or two. Life goes on and spring will be here in just over a month. Now back to dreaming about all the things I want to do with the boat this spring! I have races to win after all!

Jun 29, 2010
Ok someone has to say it. It's not that bad out there! It's -25 feels like -53 in southern mn and I still started the car outside without even a coat! It's cold yes but common it's been a mild winter. People talk about this like it's the end of the world. I'm going in to work today because I can't find a good excuse not to. Farmers are feeding animals in the cold and I work indoors so what do I have to complain about. The key is good vehicle maintenance and proper attire if your going to be outside for extended times.

When I first moved to the state I serviced wind towers and yes we worked many times in -30 temps climbing 300 feet into the air to fix a tower that was broken so there was no heat! Dress properly and enjoy the day it's not that bad!
Tell that to the known five people that have died and their families. Just because you want to go out even though you don't need to is your prerogative. There are those, like my nephew, that will have to go save your a$$ if you get in trouble. Yes, it is what they signed up for when they took their oath, but your arrogance is unwarranted. Why put yourself in a possible situation if you do not need to? Just because you can, doesn't, mean you should. How many threads in here have been about people going out sailing when they shouldn't have but they did anyway? People complain about their stupidity and putting the SAR folks in danger. What's the difference? Good thing you have electricity too. There are people that do not because power poles have snapped. Have fun with your ego trip, hopefully you don't endanger anyone else.

The reason it is news is one, it hasn't been this cold for 26 years, two, the news has a 10 minute attention span and everything is a 15 on a scale of 1-10.

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek

I hear what your saying, and I agree. Granted, its freakin cold out there. ( SW corner of Michigans lower peninsula for me)
Pull up your big boy pants, get out there and get sh%t done! Life is rolling forward.
For 20 yrs I did commercial roof construction. I know whats its like to clear snow just to get a job done in extreme weather.
Trouble today, EVERYONE is so pampered and spoiled rotten.....that no one seems to be willing to roll their sleeves up and do the hard work anymore. They would rather be a whopper flopper and cry that they need $15+ per hour and benefits.

Jun 29, 2010
I hear what your saying, and I agree. Granted, its freakin cold out there. ( SW corner of Michigans lower peninsula for me)
Pull up your big boy pants, get out there and get sh%t done! Life is rolling forward.
For 20 yrs I did commercial roof construction. I know whats its like to clear snow just to get a job done in extreme weather.
Trouble today, EVERYONE is so pampered and spoiled rotten.....that no one seems to be willing to roll their sleeves up and do the hard work anymore. They would rather be a whopper flopper and cry that they need $15+ per hour and benefits.
Do we need to get off your lawn too? ;-)