Cunningham/boom hold-down

Apr 28, 2014
Catalina 22 Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario, NY, USA
Can someone help out with pictures of how yours is rigged? I'm trying to sort out what I have and what I need.

TIA,
Dave

Rochester, NY

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
The cunningham and boom downhaul are two separate things. The downhaul is a block and tackle arrangement attached to the underside of the boom and the lower part of the mast that pulls the front end of the boom down to tighten the front portion of the mainsail. The cunningham uses a grommet along the luft of the mainsail about a foot above the boom to to pull down on the luft of the main without moving the boom to adjust the sail shape. I am posting from my I-phone and do not have access to my pictures but will post them later.

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks, Barry,
Looking forward to the pictures. I know they're different items with different functions. I just wasn't sure how to best rig them.

Dave

Rochester, NY

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Can someone help out with pictures of how yours is rigged? I'm trying to sort out what I have and what I need.

TIA,
Dave

Rochester, NY
Are you asking about a boom vang, or boom kicker ???
A vang will be used to pull down the boom and flatten or de-power the mainsail, while a boom kicker can be used like a topping lift to keep the boom up, and out of the cockpit when the mainsail is down.
The cunningham is different from a downhaul from the way that it attaches to the sail. It usually is a line which is secured at one end to the mast or boom below the foot of the mainsail. It is then passed through a cringle in the luff of the sail near the foot, but above the tack, about two feet higher, and then led down on the other side to a cleat on the mast or boom .

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Most C22s have a cleat mounted in the mast track beneath the boom and the vang. The downhaul is often simply a line tied to the bottom of the sliding gooseneck and cleated to the horn cleat in the mast track to keep the boom from rising when the main is raised.
The Cunningham is usually a line tied to a padeye on the port side of the mast (usually a foot or two below the below the boom), run up through a sail grommet between the tack and reefing grommets, then run back down to a horn cleat on the starboard side of the mast. The Cunningham padeye and cleat are usually located at a height between the boom and the halyard cleats. Sorry I didn’t have pictures for you.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Do you have a cleat in the mast sail slot below where the front of the boom rides. On the whole end fitting at the front of the boom at the bottom should be a hole, attach a short piece of line, say 3 feet in length through this hole, tie a knot in the very end of this line so that it can not be pulled back out of this hole. Now, the cleat in the slot is adjustable up and down in the sail slot by loosening the two screws on the cleat. You may have been using this cleat to rest the boom on which means that it is way too high in the slot. Move this cleat down about 12 inches or more below where the boom hangs when the sail is raised as far up the mast as possible.

This cleat down a foot or more from the boom and the short line attached to the front of the boom is now the boom downhaul.

Two ways to do this; one, raise the sail to the top of the mast and then with you hand push down on the front end of the boom till all the wrinkles are out of the sail next to the mast and using the line cleat it off on the cleat in the sail slot. The second is, cleat the line and then raise the sail and use the halyard to apply tension to the top of the sail to get rid of the wrinkles. Light wind wrinkles and med to heavy wind no wrinkles!

I have placed my cleat in the sail slot just high enough to keep it from hitting the cabin top or hatch cover when lowering the mast, this gives me lots of room the move the mainsail up and down in the mast. In light wind I raise the sail clear to the top of the mast and in heavy winds I can keep it real low, thus lowering the center of gravity on the rig.

The cunningham as someone else has said is the grommet up about a foot up from the boom. A line attached to this grommet and pulled down will also take out the wrinkles but, that’s not what it is used for. When you shape the mainsail by using the halyard, downhaul, outhaul and vang the draft or belly in the sail is dead center between the luff and the leech or at a position of 50 percent. By using the cunningham to pull the sail cloth down you will move the draft in the mainsail from 50 percent to 40 percent or forward 1/10 of the width between the luff and leech. What happens is that the wind may move this 50 percent draft location back towards the leech by 10 percent and the cunningham will bring it back to the 50 percent spot or in light winds moving the draft forward a little will help you point a little better.

Apr 28, 2014
Excellent responses dave_ren and Watercolors! Thanks. I now have a much better idea what to look for next time I'm aboard.

On a related note, is there supposed to be a way to keep the pop-top up?

Dave
Rochester, NY

Feb 26, 2013
Catalina 22 Rochester
Cunningham/Boom Hold down

My C22 is at Newport Yacht Club on Irondequoit Bay. email me and I can show you how to rig your boat in person.

Apr 28, 2014
Thank you very much. I'll do that.

Today might not be the best day for it. :) It is looking nicer toward the end of next week.
My boat is up at Meyer's, by the outlet. I'd also like to talk with you a bit about Newport. Another friend has suggested I join, and talking with more members seems like a good idea.

And I just remembered that there's another C22 two slips over from mine. I'll stroll over and look at her rigging next time as well.

Dave

My C22 is at Newport Yacht Club on Irondequoit Bay. email me and I can show you how to rig your boat in person.

Feb 26, 2013
Catalina 22 Rochester
Sounds good. I'll be happy to help you out. I am also the Fleet 142 captain for the local C22 fleet.

Feb 28, 2005
Here are some pictures of rigging on my C22. I have not rigged a cunningham on her yet but you can see the eyelet for the cunningham. I also show the Boom Downhaul, it was originally a block on the bottom of the boom with a cleat mounted to the sail slot just a little above the cabin top mounted to locking slugs with a line spliced through the hole in the center that ran up through the block and back down to the cleat for a 2 to 1 advantage. The original block has a becket on the bottom so I replaced the cleat with a cheek block that mounted to the locking slugs, I than spliced a long line to the becket on the original pulley, ran it down through the cheek block, back up through the original pulley, than down to a turning block, over to a deck organizer to a jam cleat on the back of the cabin top for a 3 to 1 advantage. By the way if the main sail looks strange in the downhaul pics it was reefed, I had the rig up in the back yard to photograph my running rigging mods.

Attachments

Apr 28, 2014
Helga II,
Where is Fleet 142 based? What's on the activity schedule? Would like to come see what's what at some point.

(I see that Catalina.org has a fleet 141 in Rochester. Or is that a typo?)

Sounds good. I'll be happy to help you out. I am also the Fleet 142 captain for the local C22 fleet.

Barry B.: Great pictures! They explain a lot. Thanks.

Dave

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
This thread came along at an ironic time. The latest post on my blog is about rigging an easy to trim boom downhaul to replace the standard equipment boom tie-down. There's not much more to add other than what has been discussed here, but I describe 1:1 and 2:1 setups with pictures of each and using a halyard shackle to make it easy to disconnect for trailering.

This picture is of a 2:1 setup with the line dead-ended on the right side of the mast step and led aft from the turning block on the left side of the mast step. It's a great upgrade to make and really helps.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
dawn_coyote,
You'll like the halyard plate. I added mine just this year and it gives you so many new options. Do you have a pop top and going to run the halyards over it?

My next blog post will probably be about a single-line jiffy reefing setup and then conclude the rigging series with how I led my lines to the cockpit around the pop top. This week was my first chance to try them on the water and I really like the new rigging. Having everything within reach makes trimming a joy instead of a chore.

Feb 26, 2013
Catalina 22 Rochester
Helga II,
Where is Fleet 142 based? What's on the activity schedule? Would like to come see what's what at some point.

(I see that Catalina.org has a fleet 141 in Rochester. Or is that a typo?)

Barry B.: Great pictures! They explain a lot. Thanks.

Dave
I must have made a typo. It is Fleet 141 in Rochester that I am the captain of. I have been trying to build the fleet since it fell apart 3 years ago. Right now we have 5 C22s that are members of Newport Yacht Club on Irondequoit Bay. You don't have to be a member of NYC to join Fleet 141. We don't have any scheduled activities. We have just been helping each other with launching our boats and sharing tips and techniques on things on our boats. Go to www.NewportYC.org and you will see my contact information. I am the Membership chairman.

Q22

Aug 18, 2013
Catalina 22 Bucks Lake
I put in a downhaul like barryb has.It looks like his cunningham goes through the hole in the sail twice is there a pulley on the other side?Is there a need for the extra leverage on the cunningham I have the stuff laying around for one of those but don't know if I'll need it or not.

Feb 26, 2013
Catalina 22 Rochester
My Cunningham is a line attached to a cleat that goes through the grommet in the sai and attaches to another cleat on the other side of the mast.

Feb 28, 2005
Q22, I haven't rigged the cunningham yet, it will be attached to the unused grommet about a foot above the boom. The line that goes up the port side and through a grommet that is above the picture and comes down the starboard side to a block, is a reefing line. I will try to post more pictures of my running rigging in the next couple days.

Q22

Aug 18, 2013
Catalina 22 Bucks Lake
The downhaul on my Hobie was 5 to 1 so I was surprised to see just a rope tied to a horn cleat on the Catalina.I'm thinking on the Hobie your trying to bow the mast and now I'm trying to flatten the sail so I think 3 to 1 will work good.Never used a cunningham should pull be upgraded with down haul and out haul.Thank you for previous responses much appreciated.