Cruz Pro Digital Temperature Gauge for the 3YM30

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
About two months ago there was a good discussion going about installing the Cruz Pro T30 digital temperature gauge (http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/monitors/cruzpro.html) as one of the final steps in dealing with the on-going overheating saga of the Yanmar 3YM30 engine on the new Hunter 33's. I would like to install one of these gauges as well. I am just looking to see if the standard Yanmar temperature sending unit is acceptable or do I need to order something new? Andy

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Need a new sensor

I looked into this issue and plan to install a CruzPro temperature gauge this spring. You will need to replace the on/off temperature sensor that drives your engine alarm with a new sensor that will work with a gauge. I asked the Mack Boring Yanmar dealer in NJ about an approriate sensor and its thread size for my 3GM30F. They replied: "Yanmar P/N 144626-91570 temperature sender will fit the 3GM30F. It has a 3/8” NPT thread, same as the alarm switch. It has an operational range of approximately 100-250 degrees F." However, according to the Torresen web site, that part is no longer available and has been replaced by P/N 144626-91590. Their price is $40. I bought a 3/8" Teleflex temperature sensor from Defender for about $15.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Hmm

Thanks for the info. I wonder if this 3GM30 sensor is the same sensor that is needed for the 3YM30. Since I have a call open with Mack Boring to deal with the overheating issue I will also ask them about the temp sensor. I am still hoping to hear if anybody with a 3YM30 has done this yet and what their results were. Andy

J

John G.

Opting for Analogue not Digital

I have just finished ordering all the necessary equipment(gauges/senders/damper)to install a water temp gauge and an oil presssure gauge (both VDO)to the engine (3YM30) cockpit panel on my 2004 H33. I will retain Yanmar's water temperature alarm system and tap the additional VDO temp sender through a "T" coupling into the water-heater 5/8" inch hose. As you know, this hose runs from the base of the thermostat housing opposite the existing Yanmar temp alarm sender. There is no access/orifice on the 3YM30 to tap another sender. The local Yanmar dealer told me tapping into the water-heater hose is the best solution for the add-on temp gauge. Although the oil pressure gauge might be viewed as overkill, all my previous boats had one fitted so I feel more comfortable checking on oil pressure rather than waiting for the oil pressure alarm to sound. The 'damper' part - as Yanmar calls it, is really an adaptor that fits into the existing oil pressure entry/orifice next to the oil filter. When fitted into the engine block it provides two accesses, one for the existing alarm sender and one for the VDO oil pressure gauge sender I am about to add. Unfortunately the thread on this part (damper) is BSP rather than NPT and I could only get the appropriate VDO sender (BSP thread)as a Yanmar part, not from VDO outlets. That makes it more expensive. I thought of installing a digital water temp gauge with a pre-set temp alarm function and fitting it in place of the existing Yanmar sender. I chose not to do so because that solution might be one that would be contested by Yanmar if there is future engine overheat damage to the engine. Particularly since my engine like many others, suffered from frequent overheating when it was brand new.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
Yanmar (Mack Boring) rep said...

As long as the temp sender is matched to the digital temp gauge I should be alright. It takes a 3/8" NPT type sender. The rep also said that I need to leave the original idiot light overheat alarm in place with its own sender to keep my warranty active. It looks like tapping the water heater hose will be my solution as well. I'll post a follow-up once everything is in place. http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/monitors/cruzpro.html

J

John G

Stay Grounded

You probably know this already but when you acquire the sender make sure it is a "floating sender" so you have the additional terminal to ground the water-hose assembly to the engine block.

Status
Not open for further replies.