Cruising the Lake Erie Islands

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We plan to spend two weeks in our home cruising grounds, the Lake Erie Islands, in the first half of June this summer. We look forward to being able to follow the wind to quiet anchorages during the week, when the weekend crowds are away. Our list of stops includes:

- perch at the Village Pump on Kellys
- the north side of Kellys
- Put-in-Bay
- East Harbor
- Schoolhouse Bay
- Manila Bay
- State Park marina on Middle Bass
- Fish Point on Pelee
- Scudders
- Leamington (may join the GLCC rally there)

Any other ideas? We don’t plan to hit them all, and would love to try a new anchorage. We will have the folding bikes aboard for exploring the Islands ashore. We especially like our annual ride around Pelee with a visit to the winery.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What a great sounding trip. As a trailersailor, I'm interested in following your trip. Erie is not but a couple of days haul for me. My wife and I have been talking about taking the canal from Champlain to the big lake. Keep us updated, Thank you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2007
Will, I’ve enjoyed the Trent-Severn and Erie canals, but we much prefer sailing in an archipelago, like the Lake Erie Islands. We can always have good wind to some destination, and can choose 1 to 4 hour sails - no need for humping 8-10 hours.

In upper New York State, I strongly recommend the Thousand Islands. Countless great anchorages, park islands offer beautiful walks, and a good range of interesting ports make this a real fun experience. Oh, and we have seen herons, osprey, mink, and fine fishing there.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Will, I’ve enjoyed the Trent-Severn and Erie canals, but we much prefer sailing in an archipelago, like the Lake Erie Islands. We can always have good wind to some destination, and can choose 1 to 4 hour sails - no need for humping 8-10 hours.

In upper New York State, I strongly recommend the Thousand Islands. Countless great anchorages, park islands offer beautiful walks, and a good range of interesting ports make this a real fun experience. Oh, and we have seen herons, osprey, mink, and fine fishing there.
+1 on the St. Lawrence Thousand Islands. I've cruised there many times over the years and it is always beautiful. Nice parks, great weather during the summer, and even get some good sailing at times. Long way from Lake Erie though. I didn't even realize there were inhabited islands on the US side of Lake Erie. That would be a fun destination.

Nov 8, 2007
Actually, we can sail from Sandusky, US, to Leamington, CA, and be in the islands until we get to Pt. Pelee, CA. Pelee Island, the northernmost Island, and one of our favorites, is Canadian.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Please post details and notes on the locations you visit. I’d like to try to visit some of them over the season. Usually I make a weekend trip over from Monroe, but would like to have a longer cruise around the various stops this year..

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the north shore of lake erie around long point . ontario is beautiful. long point is on the bird fly way and a great place for birdwatchers (one of which i am not. ) port dover is a lovely little town with a town green , local theatre, great restaurants and fine marina. (Will, if you're thinking of a trailer sailor trip west, PM me. ) avoid august, you can be becalmed for days...

Nov 8, 2007
Long Point is my favorite anchorage on Lake Erie! But it’s a real trip to get there!

Nov 8, 2007
Kopite, I’ll try to do a journal as we go. I strongly recommend the Harbor reports of the Great Lakes Cruising Club. You have to join at least 1 year to get them, but they describe approaches and conditions for most of the places on our list.