Cruising Close Call

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hayden, wondering why this app is indispensable for navigating Puget Sound...
Because there are really big things that move really fast and sometimes you need to cross the street when the visibility is less than optimal, and I cannot afford radar, so this is the next best thing and only costs $10. Does it eliminate the need for watch keeping, plotting on map, use of plotter, depth sounder, eyes... NO! But it gives great piece of mind when crossing the shipping channels. My point of the story about the tug meeting was to show the degree of accuracy these things have. we were obviously both under power no auto pilot and it was fun to watch the two of us converge. If you ever need to be out in the shipping lanes at night you would really like having it aboard.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
And what does this e-notebook cost? I cringe at the obscene cost of my flip phone in order to give me BC coverage.
I don't know; it wasn't mine. I used the binoculars (Fujinon 8x30*), which were mine. Were sailing into Powell River, close reaching on a stb tack in the Hanse 495. Notebook (application) said come right to lay the opening to the north (i.e., locals) marina; visual (binoculars) said come left. Notebook application evidently plots a heading that accounts for the set, so I was told:doh:; binoculars correct visually in the old fashion way on the entrance as one closes. He showed me his:poke:; I showed him mine.:poke: In any event, we got there!:clap:

*I bought those precious 8x30's at the Saint Petersburg, FL Boat Show in 1987 or '88. Try getting that out of a cola nut!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Because there are really big things that move really fast and sometimes you need to cross the street when the visibility is less than optimal, and I cannot afford radar, so this is the next best thing and only costs $10. Does it eliminate the need for watch keeping, plotting on map, use of plotter, depth sounder, eyes... NO! But it gives great piece of mind when crossing the shipping channels. My point of the story about the tug meeting was to show the degree of accuracy these things have. we were obviously both under power no auto pilot and it was fun to watch the two of us converge. If you ever need to be out in the shipping lanes at night you would really like having it aboard.
I would consider this app one step above a toy as you stated it was fun to use. If you have a plotter, an AIS receiver is not much money. We all know cell signals have dead/slow zones and the internet can slow down etc..All these internet apps depend on shore stations so there are dead zones wrt that. Swinomish channel being one. If, (for some reason), you find yourself playing around in the shipping lanes at night or with limited visibility, the absolute best thing you can do is converse with Seattle Traffic on chan 5. If youre really honked up and disoriented, it s OK to admit. They can find you

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
... If you have a plotter, an AIS receiver is not much money. We all know cell signals have dead/slow zones and the internet can slow down etc..All these internet apps depend on shore stations so there are dead zones wrt that. Swinomish channel being one. If, (for some reason), you find yourself playing around in the shipping lanes at night or with limited visibility, the absolute best thing you can do is converse with Seattle Traffic on chan 5. If youre really honked up and disoriented, it s OK to admit. They can find you
That IF is the problem. I have a chart plotter, but it was made before AIS was a "thing" so to get AIS on my chart plotter would involve buying a whole new system which will be a lot more than the $10 dollars that Boat Beacon cost me.

I concur that the coverage sometimes drops out which is why I look for boats that are 45 minutes away to see who is heading in my direction. The AIS will tell you what port they are headed to which enables me to anticipate if they will be heading up the channel that I am crossing.

The first time that I used BB was in the 2013 Northern Century Race which is a 100-mile race around the San Juan Islands. On the first night I was at the north end of Guemes east of Sinclair Island at 2:00 a.m. in zero wind doing 360’s in the current when the collision alert went off. I checked the screen and it said that in 10 minute the Norther Columbia, a 510’ bulk carrier would pass within 200 yards of my passion at about 16 knots. I picked up my VHS and hailed the Northern Columbia by name on channel 5 and got an immediate response. I informed them that my AIS informed me of the 200-yard approach they asked for a light to get a visual. This done they altered course 2º starboard and passed with about ½ mile separation.

Given my position and their need to turn west it is very likely that they would have done directly over my position had we not made contact. Their bridge confirmed that they had seen a small blip on the radar but attributed it to scatter. I let them know that there are 40 other competitors with me in the race.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not an anchor boat rescue story, but I did get a surprise today. It’s mist/raining with visibility down to about 2 Miles as I power up the ditch’s south entrance. The tide is changing and I’m doing 7.2 knots Sog.

I cruise past 4-5 log rafts on the side of the channel. No one is around. I’m approaching the ‘Hole in the Wall’ when I make out what looks like a log raft in the channel. What’s a log raft doing in the channel. Quick check the AIS. There it is the Port Gardner. Making the turn. Quick power down to 1.5 knots. There is a 2 boat traffic jamb.
I call out on 13 and speak to the captain. He asks that I let him navigate the narrow channel first. Absolutely captain. I’ll pull left after I clear the Hole in the Wall and you can pass to Port. Sounds great. Thanks for calling Hadley. Have a good day Captain.
This communication stuff sure make life easier.
A7CFBCD1-B7FF-447F-BCD9-B0A415A01CE0.jpeg 3164492A-7153-42CE-8265-EF67C9E8DAE2.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Have a good day Captain.
Whew! Close call. Log rafts in tow quite common in the ditch. Never encountered them there, though. Pretty tight quarters. Glad you had no mishaps. Smooth sailing, eh?

Thanks for the update, John.