cruising apps for Ipad

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do all the popular apps require an iPad with 3G/4G ? My iPad is not 3G/4G model. Therefore to use one of these marine nav apps it appears I need a device like GarmiinGLO with Bluetooth to connect directly to GPS satellites to feed my iPad nav app. Is that correct ?
Second question: Can my iPhone Bluetooth with GPS app loaded also feed my iPad nav app?
Right now most of my sailing will be Southwest Florida coast, Charlotte Harbor and possibly Key West. I also have newer Garmin not yet installed from prior owner.
As David notes they would require an external GPS sub-system. There are several ways to do this, frankly I would try stick with the most simple and most reliable. This is not the type of place you want to Rube Goldberg solution. Simplicity rules when it comes to mission critical tasks like navigation.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If the charting company has an iPhone app you can use that because an iPhone has a built in GPS. Other option is buy up to a cellular service iPad, it includes the built in GPS. You do not need to have a cellular account.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Check with Garmin to see if your 741xs is compatible with active captain and if your iPad supports it as well. Might have to upload latest software into your CP via SD card. if all okay then you can use your iPad as a backup chartplotter. I have a 742xs and can view all CP info via Bluetooth connection using Garmin Active Captain app. Before I upgraded my CP I used navionics.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I like Boat Beacon which gives you AIS for $10 on your smart phone. If you have an MMSI number they will put your boat into the AIS network without having an AIS transceiver. I also use Anchor Watch Pro for $5 although they also have a free app.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
I’ve been using Garmin Blue Chart on my IPad in Europe. They recently stopped selling/supporting it, so I am starting to look into alternatives. Seems like Navionics is a good bet.
9550BC69-71B8-45DC-A06C-BAD0B21364D5.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Do all the popular apps require an iPad with 3G/4G ? My iPad is not 3G/4G model. Therefore to use one of these marine nav apps it appears I need a device like GarmiinGLO with Bluetooth to connect directly to GPS satellites to feed my iPad nav app. Is that correct ?
Second question: Can my iPhone Bluetooth with GPS app loaded also feed my iPad nav app?
Right now most of my sailing will be Southwest Florida coast, Charlotte Harbor and possibly Key West. I also have newer Garmin not yet installed from prior owner.
You can buy an external GPS if your iPad doesn’t have the cell modem (which also contains the GPS on the same board). There is one called Bad Elf which has a good reputation.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I’ve been using Garmin Blue Chart on my IPad in Europe. They recently stopped selling/supporting it, so I am starting to look into alternatives. Seems like Navionics is a good bet.
I like Navionics. Definitely 5 stars imho.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Larry -- DH you can connect a gps to your iPad. I do through my AIS. Get wireless Wi-Fi signal to the iPad in the iNav app. Provides AIS info along with GPS data.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Check out (Dutch) NV Charts, excellent European charts and they have an iOS app that gives you purchased chart sets on your mobile devices.