Cross bar for Halyard over campanion way slider

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Yes, the roll tack is an absolute MUST. If you don't have that down, you're not a real racer yet ;) ! Also, I believe the biggest threat while pitching downwind was keeping the boat in that position; the reason for this is because the rules clearly state that a boat cannot be rolled downwind in attempt to gain speed. While pitching the boat, sometimes the wind and waves would take over, pitch the boat back the other way and start a rolling motion, resulting in a direct penalty.
Not rolling... just heeling and maintaining a large heel angle to keep the main high.... about 20 to 30 degrees

Anyway... we digress or are hijacking this thread! :hijack:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
He is there to help the boat gain speed downwind. While perhaps he could sit a little closer to the cabin top all racers of C 22 put a man on the bow going down wind. The stern of the boat is very heavy and with the required class weight of the outboard on the stern it amplifies the problem. Placing a man on the bow lifts the stern and increases down wind speed. I put 2 or 3 kids on the bow when I race and can speak from experience that it makes a big difference when racing JAM down wind like the boat pictured.
Interesting. That boat looks very bow down. I'd be surprised if that was fast. I totally get doing that move to make the boat flat.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
You might be able to make one fairly simply with a good wood plank (preferably warped), and a block of wood downside on each end. Just epoxy and varnish the wood up, and bolt through the deck. Might not be a clean white look everyone would like though.

Feb 16, 2017
Rolling/Rocking/Leaning a Catalina or Capri 22 \to weather while going downwind is not fast.....Yes, it is agreed that certain times it pays to rock your sails so you're not shadowed by the boat from behind. But if you took a sectional drawing of a Catalina 22 at max beam and heel the boat to windward you will find you slow the boat down due to an increasing amount of drag because the hull becomes deeper at max beam......Grab a beer and think about that for a while.

chug chug

Okay, here it goes...
As the boat heels to weather the waterline gets narrower at the stern and fuller/wider at the bow. This lifts the bow and the squats in the stern.
When this happens the boat sinks, as it sinks the max beam at the waterline gets deeper, therefore the boat is having to push more water which means more drag, more drag is less speed.
This can be seen when sailing, look at the transom to leeward and look at the little wave cresting, then flatten the boat and look at the wave, it will decrease by a considerable amount.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Had an old bloke I raced against in Lasers years ago that did annoyingly well with sitting astride or even for'ard of the mast in lights airs, and even a little to leewards. He was also 20 kg / 50 lb lighter than me and had sailed the things for 50 yrs but I learned much (grasshopper). Applied that to the swing-keel trailer-sailer (C-22) and behold sometimes more speed and 'pointability'. Physics and marine architecture bespeak one thing, and this I held for fixed keel, ocean sailing, but on a C-22 on a lake i get some leeward weight and slight angle of heel as possible in lighter airs. The big boats look somewhat stunned as we pass them by on certain tacks. Eventually their larger sail area tends to mow us down but occasionally the little guys wind for a bit. Know your boat, the conditions, and practice.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Grab a beer and think about that for a while.

chug chug

This can be seen when sailing, look at the transom to leeward and look at the little wave cresting, then flatten the boat and look at the wave, it will decrease by a considerable amount.
Now try get the transom out the water and you have no wave... It's always a compromise... flat boat = large wetted surface area which drastically increases drag. There is even much debate among our dinghy racers regarding having a perfectly smooth well polished hull versus a smooth mat surface. Does a layer of water slip past the polished surface easier than a layer of water slipping past another layer of water?

Displacement is displacement... that will not change unless you lose a crew member overboard!

I love the debate but unfortunately the more beer I chug the more ideas pop up... leading to more beers to lubricate the thought processes... :beer::)

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
...the more beer I chug the more ideas pop up... leading to more beers to lubricate the thought processes... :beer::)
Leading to more displacement (around the midsection of the sailor), leading to a slower boat, leading to giving up on racing and simply enjoying the wind and the beer.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Leading to more displacement (around the midsection of the sailor), leading to a slower boat, leading to giving up on racing and simply enjoying the wind and the beer.
I have been involved with taking the Maritime school kids out on the L26 keelboat for sailing day trips so have not even sailed my dinghy since November last year! Decided to go see how the old boats doing last Saturday. Was a really awesome sunny day. After I figured out how to rig the thing again we went out sailing and the wind picked up... man does that leaning out only work the old "six pack behind the cooler bag"! Got capsized out on the lake and had to actually swim too! Needless to say... Sunday was a rest and top up day yesterday! ;):):beer: