Cradle dimensions for Hunter 27-2

Lewie

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 25 (wing keel) Lake Freeman
Friend bought a 1989 Hunter 27-2 fin/bulb keel and outboard engine. I am going to move it for him on my trailer (handles my Catalina 27 fin keel). Does anyone have the cradle dimensions for the Hunter 27-2? I am fixed on the angles off the trailer, I need the height from the keel to the support pads for the bow and stern (I can lower the center supports until I have the boat set and then snug them tight.) Thanks.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
How about a photo of the trailer. I was a dealer for Catalina and Hunter and well versed in this area. I launched many of the Hunter 27 and even launched and retrieved so many in my sleep. I introduced that boat. A lot will depend on the trailer and the number of supports . Make sure I can see the keel tray as well. Launched many Catalina 27 to even include a time or two with crane over a bridge.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sent a private message as well but no response. When a person posts and does not acknowledge, it is sad.
By the way, I did design a trailer for the Hunter 27 of that vintage year and even a mast raise system. This is why I know the boat too well having introduced it and was the top seller for it. I was also a Catalina dealer.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Well, since the OP isn't responding, I think I'll hijack his thread.

Dave, I know the trailer will make it from Ohio to Mobile Bay, but do you think just 4 supports will keep the boat steady enough, or should I have 2 more welded on for each side?

image.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Is that the specific trailer mentioned above in the picture I am looking at? If so, we need to talk. Private email with phone number. I have used construction trailers in the past but it can dicy moving a boat on a cradle top of a construction trailer. If the mast is stored on top of the boat during transport, then you need to know the height at the end, middle and front of the mast alone to see if it is below 13 feet 6 inches. That alone you do need some clearance. I appreciate your response since the original poster did not even respond to my private email either. There is a lot more to be discussed

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Gorilla Toast sent me a private message with his phone number yesterday and had a good conversation this morning, Saturday. He appreciated that I call. Although the original poster never responded, it indicated a later model 27 which I was very knowledgable as I had sold nearly 20% of the production line having introduced the boat for Hunter and even had a trailer designed for it not to mention a mast raise system I built for a couple over the years. That said, Gorilla Toast advised the above boat is the one seen above on the actual construction trailer. Height alone is 13' 6" from top to bottom and the over hang from the trailer is more than 6 feet. I told this gentleman I was familiar with the model as I had maintained one for a Scout Camp for years.
Although the trip would be via I 65 to I 10, with the mast on top, height alone is going to make this trailer out of the question. Over the years I have found various state highway departments sometimes do not change or adjust the bridge clearance and once you get off the interstates and going to get gas, sometimes height is a challenge. Although I have used construction trailers with cradled boats, I advised this is one I would not suggest doing give the above factors based on safety. Gorilla Toast is going to find some haulers and I advised against u ship and others like that as most are not set up for this style boat. I suggested that he would be best to ask but I will for him. If you know any good transport companies folks, would you please send him a private email via forum email. I know he would appreciate your comments.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Thanks, Dave!
Yes folks, please do post any references you may have. Probably more than one person on this forum would appreciate the info.

Aug 2, 2015
Catalina 27 Lafayette Sail Club
Sincerely apologize for not getting back to the forum in a timely manner - I once had a life, but my job ate it. That said, I did move my friend's 27-2 Saturday. The Hunter's hull is a little different than the C-27. Much broader at the stern. I would still like to have the shipping cradle dimensions for the Hunter. Joe is looking for a trailer to give himself more flexibility in the future.