Cracks in the hull of H170

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Kowalewski

I uncovered my Hunter 170 last week-end to find two cracks. I bought it new 2 years ago, so I was rather concerned. I called the plant in CT and they said they would fix them or I could fix them myself. I drilled holes in the ends of the cracks so that they wouldn't get any bigger. One starts at the port forward cleat and extends inboard about 5 inches down inside the hull. The other starts at the port cam cleat and extends inboard 8 - 10 inches down toward the center board. I've tried to search the archives to see if anyone else has had problems with cracks in the plastic hull and what they did, but the archives seem to be down for the last week. I'm wondering if I'm getting cracks in the second year that need to be patched, what's it gong to look like after 5 years or ten years? Any experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks BobK

S

Stuart Cohen

170 Cracks

I recently purchased a 4 year old 170 and found a crack in the foredeck. I took it to my dealer and they spoke with Hunter and had a repair kit sent to them under warranty. They told me that they use heat to bond the repair material to the existing material and the repair looks great. You can not tell that any repair was done and the deck appears to be as strong as new.

M

Mark Burrows

Use the warranty

Seems like you should call Hunter and document this as a problem in case it keeps happening. They probably want to know that its happening. Markdb

F

Frank Ladd

Your dealer should fix it.

In fact I imagine almost any Hunter dealer would be happy to fix it for you. too bad you did not find the crack and get it fixed this winter as getting anything done during the busy spring season takes atleast twice as long. I'm not certain but it sounds like the holes for the hardware were not drilled big enough for the screws that hold them in. With plastic boats you can mount hardware easily with screws but if you do not predrill it with the right size hole it will crack the surface. This should be an easy repair and the boat shuold be as strong and beautiful as ever.

D

Dennis

Bob-Uncovered?

Bob, repair is very easy and will last, you may want to have the paint matched at a local Automotive paint store for a better color match. You said you uncovered your boat, it is best to use a light colored cover well vented. I am just recomending for those owners who don't know of the heat problems. I have seen a 6 year old JY14, and after clean up with softscrub looked almost new. please contact your dealer, they will help more then you ever thought.

J

J Mashburn

Cover or Not to Cover

Is there any problem with covering the Hunter ACP sailboats during the heat of the summer? (or) Is it better to leave it uncovered due to the heat build up? Any history on this issue? Thanks, Jim Hunter 146 TIKI

D

Dennis

Better uncovered

The boats are UV stable and clean very easy. Don't risk the heat build up.

C

Charlie C.

I cover mine

I have been covering my 140 with a generic cover for three years now without a problem. There are gaps at the stern of the boat for air circulate in and out under the cover. There is too much "stuff" falling from trees and the sky in general. Take a look at vinyl siding after a few years and see what acid rain does to it. In addition make sure the hull drain plugs are open for air to circulate. I modified a couple of old plugs so air can circulate and bugs are kept out at the same time. In the next couple of days I'll take a picture of the modification and post it. Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.