Cracks in a Catalina 30 wing keel

tgr23

Feb 5, 2018
Catalina c30 Brooklyn
I'm looking at a 1988 C30 to buy and one of the things I noticed were cracks at the fore and aft of the winged keep. The cracks are up near where the keel meets the hull. They are not huge but very noticable. The owner says this is from the pressure of the keel sitting on the ground when the boat is on the hard. That seems dubious. How concerned should I be about these? I will have any boat I buy surveyed, but I'm not sure if I should even go there if this is a very bad situation.

Thanks in advance!
Travis

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'm looking at a 1988 C30 to buy and one of the things I noticed were cracks at the fore and aft of the winged keep. The cracks are up near where the keel meets the hull. They are not huge but very notic[e]able.

It's not unusual to have a "crack" which I think is often the result of differential expansion/contraction and materials joining in the same "plane".

There are "cracks" and then there are cracks :^))). Are the cracks bi-lateral (i.e., in the same general condition on both the port and starboard sides. Are the keel boats and keel areas dry and show evidence of distress?

Is there any indication of distress on the ribs along the inside of the hull or where bulkheads are tabbed-in? You need to look at BOTH sides of each of the ribs/bulkheads, not just one side.

The comment about the "resting on the keel" being the issue does nothing for me except indicate that bad answer from the Seller. If the boat was "dropped", maybe from "coming to rest" ;^))).

tgr23

Feb 5, 2018
Catalina c30 Brooklyn
Wow, thank you for the quick reply.
I did not look at the inside of the hull. The cracks seemed to be in the same condition on both sides. (dang I wish I had taken a photo!)

So I shouldn't look at this as a deal breaker necessarily? Having no experience looking at the inside of a hull on a sailboat should I attempt that myself or turn it over to a surveyor?

Thanks!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Depending on extent, it would typically not be a deal breaker. This is a fairly common occurence, especially with Catalina, hence the term "catalina smile". Look up on that term to learn more both on this forum and the interweb. G/L the C30 is a nice boat. The term mini-van of the boat world I thought was funny and fitting.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
TG
  • If you are serious about buying the boat, you should get an independent surveyor to protect your interests;
  • I'd look the boat over inside and out carefully before I put a contract down on the boat. The boat is 30 years old.
  • You might not know what you're looking at, but if you see "stretch marks" or cracked reinforcing on the tabs along the sides of hull, you'll be in a position to act.
  • Use your eyes, your nose, and you're fingers. Does is smell right and why? Is it wet, does the structure seem solid. I think that you should go over it and "become one" with it before you put a contract down -- and before you pay a surveyor to look at it more thoroughly.
In and of itself, the Catalina Smile isn't that big a deal. A lot of boats, with high pedigrees have minor, non-structural cracks which are the result of shrinkage, expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials. THEY SHOULDN'T leak, move noticeably, etc. These are generally just "hairline" events.

tgr23

Feb 5, 2018
Catalina c30 Brooklyn
SG
Thank you! On your advice I think I'll take another trip out this weekend to look the boat over again. It's in good shape and the previous owner (one owner boat) has done some nice upgrades so I think she's in good shape. It's a little hard though since it's winter on Long Island and everything is shrink wrapped (we had to cut our way in). Def will use a surveyor.
T

tgr23

Feb 5, 2018
Catalina c30 Brooklyn
How do I look at the "the tabs along the sides of hull."?
And how do I look at the top of the keel bolts?
Any other tips on what to look at and how to do it? I'm a power boater of many years so I understand the usual boat concerns, just looking for specifics for this boat and or sailboats.
Thanks again.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Well I'm not familiar with the C20 -- but you open-up the bilge, you look in closets, pull drawers out, you'll figure it out.
Do what you can do. You'll get a sense for a boat by looking in the bilge and at areas that don't get just "surface" cleaning.