Cracked mast tabernacle hunter 26

May 24, 2017
Hunter Hunter 26 Kingston New York
I am the proud new owner of a hunter 26 swing keel sailboat. I purchase the boat this spring and had the marina step the mast because I had no idea how to do it otherwise, this being a new boat to me. I recently noticed that the mast Tabernacle is cracked. Has anyone done the job of replacing one and if so how complicated a job is this? I'm a do it yourself kind of girl but admittedly not very strong. I definitely don't want to open a can of worms I can't deal with. So if it involves muscles and more than basic wiring skills I'd rather find someone else who can do the job right the first time. Thanks !

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Welcome to water ballast boat ownership. Being a not-so-handy kinda guy I can only refer you to others here who actually have a clue. @Crazy Dave Condon is the man with the plan on all things water ballast. Good luck!

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Moment,

Good afternoon! I actually had that problem with my Catalina 25 when I first bought her, as she was on a trailer and had her mast de-stepped. I managed to bring it up on my own using a pulley system attached to the forestay shackle at the bow, but slammed the mast forward when she came upright and cracked the tabernacle in almost the exact same spot. Thus, your crack may have come from pushing the mast too far forward when you stepped it, but I've also seen this happen on boats with standing rigging that is far too loose; this causes the mast to bounce either side-to-side or fore-to-aft, and it places a TON of stress on the tabernacle of a stepping mast. I wouldn't sail her anytime soon before fixing that crack; it may not be a huge issue now, but a good friend of mine owned a Catalina 22 with the same problem, and he ignored it...two months later as he was sailing in a strong gale, the entire mast came down, sails, rigging and all, and ripped the actual top of the fiberglass cabin out with it.
I fixed my little crack with a welding torch and rod...hence, I now own a boatswain's chair ;) but if you don't wanna have to deal with having a permanently fixed mast, then you'll most likely have to replace the whole tabernacle, which does unfortunately more than likely involve rewiring all your navigational lights (assuming you have them).

May 24, 2017
Thanks for the info ! She's on the hard now. I'll definitely have it replaced before she goes back in the water.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This can't be too hard. It's a trailer sailor like my old Mac so there is probably an electrical disconnect at the base. My base just screwed into the deck on both of my boats. You can probably get a new one on SBO. Eazy peezy.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Moment it looks like it is the mast foot (part attached to the mast) which has been broken. And it looks to me like the mast base (part attached to the cabin top) has been replaced at some point. I'm not even sure that the replacement is the correct part. Here is a link to the parts shop of this site showing both the mast foot and base as originally equipped.
http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/hpcat.php?m=26&c=6
Watch the thread for Crazy Dave's reply tomorrow as he is the expert on Hunter WB trailerables.

May 24, 2017
Thanks! It may not be the tabernacle :}
I thought it was, based on the diagram. Under the circumstances it's pretty safe to assume that I'm mistaken...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I got a new one for my boat... bought it from this site (SBO). Call them... they will talk you through and make sure you get the correct one. Seems Hunter used two different spar manufacturers at some point... so ... call them. These guys will set you up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The Hunter 26 used Z Spar and that is the mast foot on the bottom of the mast. You will need to drill out the rivets and get the old one off and put on new pop rivets. Try not to enlarge the holes so the use of a smaller drill bit is suggested. If you have to drill new holes, make sure you get the exact drill bit to use for the size rivet. If using the larger or supplied stainless steel rivets, you will need to either rent or borrow the larger pop rivet gun as the standard home use style will not do the job. The forum store can sell you one easily or you can go to U.S. Spars but support the forum store as they know what to get specifically for your mast.

Not sure if your mast is either up or down. If up get as many folks to help you carefully getting the mast down.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
After Dave's post the pictures make more sense to me now. It's a 2-piece setup, unlike what I have had. The deck piece looks fine, it's the hinged mast base piece that looks cracked. I see the rivet heads now. Should still be an easy fix if the mast is down. You might even have the mast system to get it down by yourself. One of the best things I bought for my Mac.