CP22 - Rigging the Asymmetrical Spinnaker for gybing

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
It was a beautiful January day on Lake Keowee for some one-handed asym spinnaker practice. If only I could figure out how to gybe!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2010
Here's the setup I've tried, but I do not have a way to keep the LAZY SPIN SHEET from falling under the boat. My boat does not have a bowsprit or anything that projects forward of the tack line that can hold the sheet. I'm thinking of using a piece of velcro to hold the lazy sheet, giving it a yank on a gybe to free it. But then I'd have to go forward to attach the new lazy sheet with velcro. Any tips?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@sroberts When I rigged an Asym on my M15, I kept the Lazysheet snug (not tight) to the windard side of the boat. I gybed the MAIN. then let the spinnaker blow forward and hauled in the lazy sheet. Yes it is a skill building exercise. I never really sailed the Asym straight down wind. It was not always pretty. But solo sailing is not always a pretty activity. If God had made us to solo sail he would have given us an extra arm and hand. So we just have to make do.

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for the tips all, and nice video Cowpokee. I'll try it from the inside since Cowpokee's video proves it to be a simple maneuver. :waycool: