Cow horn cleats

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
The 260 I have has a lazy jack system. Where do folks cleat these off, the standard stainless cow horns at the goose neck or is it possible to drill the mast and fit small cow horn cleats.
Not knowing make up of the mast but I can almost hear the . . . no no no you can't do that:badbad:but hoping this is not the case.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I never put one on a 260 as a dealer as I found flaking correctly I could fold and cover much more quickly training my customers that way. Post photo of cleat and where on mast or boom you want to attach and we will advise from several of us

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I've only used Lazy Jacks on much larger boats, so I don't know how they would be configured on something that small.

If your question is simply about the acceptability of mounting a new cleat to the mast, then take a look at the mast from the top or bottom with end fittings removed & see what is inside there. On most masts, mounting an extra cleat or two is not a big deal.

As Dave said, pictures would help us to help you better.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
my boat has both a set of small cleats mid boom for lazy jacks and also a set of cleats on the mast available for lazy jack storage. if you are adding s s cleats to aluminum it's good to have a plastic barrier layer between the 2 dissimilar metals especially if your boat is in salt water. lazy jacks are better than lazy crew any day.

Nov 10, 2017
I never put one on a 260 as a dealer as I found flaking correctly I could fold and cover much more quickly training my customers that way. Post photo of cleat and where on mast or boom you want to attach and we will advise from several of us
I was thinking of these https://www.clcboats.com/modules/ca...n=sailing-gear-accessories&code=plastic-cleat

Of course I will be flaking the sail to put it to bed, apart from cleats all the lazy jack gear is there so I thought I might as well rig it up.
Me also JiminPB.
Imho they are a good thing if you need to dump the main quickly and keep it all together, especially if ones not as sprightly as one used to be and struggling to do a balancing act on the 260 coach roof,

Attachments

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
i think a good add for a 260. with no side decks it seemed to me a good climb to the coachroof. for stowing the lazyjacks while sailing, add a set of cleats just below the goosneck on the mast. everything pulls forward and down to that point to clear the sail.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Drill away. Your mast is riddled with hole now, from the factory. Lazy jacks work well on any size boat. You want them, then install them.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
The only issue that has ever occurred to me for both the mast and the boom is that internal lines and halyards could snag and chafe on the screw tips. Shorter screws or rounding the points, or using rivets might solve this if they can fit.

Nov 10, 2017
The only issue that has ever occurred to me for both the mast and the boom is that internal lines and halyards could snag and chafe on the screw tips. Shorter screws or rounding the points, or using rivets might solve this if they can fit.
Thanks for the tips (and to all replier's) but already ahead of you . . . :thumbup: To save anyone pointing it out, I will be using aluminium rivets

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Lazy jack work well with the BR rig when sailing singlehanded.
It's a relatively large main and a simple lazy jack system works well.
The cheapo system in the owners mod section has worked well for me . I can drop the main from the wheel a sail tie around the boom near the main sheet and I'm good .