Registered users don't see ads

Covering boat for winter

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by NYSail, Nov 12, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,910 posts, 221 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    I assume everyone knows this but if your boom is open ended birds will nest in it by mid-March, around here. So while you're using those dish scrubbers, plug the end(s) of the boom. I've even had birds try to nest in the flakes of the main sail in the early season. They weren't too happy about Wed PM sailing!

Parsons likes this.
  2. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    781 posts, 78 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    Great cover Tom but that picture with all the snow on the ground is really depressing. :(

3. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    1,164 posts, 266 likes
    Sabre 362
    US Fair Haven, NY
    A few weeks ago I was helping out at my marina when we unstepped a mast. When the mast came up, all kinds of straw and debris fell out, obviously a bird a built a nest in the mast. Then the dead bird fell out. A full grown bird of undetermined species. :(

Closing up the end of the mast and/or boom is a good idea.

4. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    823 posts, 224 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    It is, Rick,...but it's even more depressing when the snow, which turns to ice, stays on your cover. :)
    Cover failed frame polyE3 2.jpg Cover colapsed shrinkE22.jpg

NYSail likes this.
  5. dziedzicmj

dziedzicmj

Joined Aug 13, 2012
    360 posts, 44 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Ottawa,ON Ottawa
    That snow turning to ice can weigh a lot. 500 -1000 kg (double that in lb). It is really worth its while to visit your boat after any major snow fall. This applies regardless if you cover or not. probably even more so, if you don't. You can easily accumulate a ton of ice in the cockpit.

6. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    781 posts, 78 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    My shrink job recently. Hence the descriptor, "shrink".

Attached Files:

7. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    4,359 posts, 569 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Many masts have holes big enough to admit birds. Mine was a mess when we unstopped 3 years ago. Had custom plates built for the masthead shrouds, preventing reoccurrence. My rigger was in the process of replacing a mast which had split at the base - the weep holes were plugged with mud and dung and the mast had held water - freezing, and splitting the base. $25k FUBAR.

If it took me two days to cobble together some kind of tarp cover and another few hours every month to lash the Rube Goldberg arrangement back down I would consider $650 - $800 for a shrink wrap money well spent. That said, this year will be the first time I have wrapped the boat in 10 years.

8. Dalliance

Dalliance

Joined Oct 6, 2007
    574 posts, 47 likes
    Hunter 1982 H30 Cherubini
    US Chicago (Burnham)
    I have to confess I've been shrinking wrapping every year and I feel a little guilty dragging all that plastic to the recycle bin in April. However, in the fall, when I tend to stretch my sailing season as late as possible, I see people in the yacht yard assembling frames and fighting with tarps on blustery cold November days and think to myself I'm really glad I don't have to deal with that.

When I retire and can choose any day of the week to cover the boat myself maybe I'll switch to a custom cover and save some money. For now though, the shrink wrap service is worth the $650 to me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM
  9. Apex

Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    616 posts, 47 likes
    Oday 28
    US Muskegon
    I have a custom cover: Mast up. The framework couldn't be simpler. Ridge pole (2x6) sets in anchor roller and on a crutch lashed to the mast. The boom topping lift is removed and a crutch for the boom sits against the mainsheet track. One piece and it is a simple task to cover.

Parsons likes this.
  10. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,910 posts, 221 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    Here's a pic of the blue tarp that didn't make it to T-day.

IMG_0894.JPG

NYSail likes this.
  11. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    424 posts, 97 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    The shrink wrapped boats and custom cover on the right, however, look like they'll weather a hurricane. I don't think I'd like Genie's captain to tie my boat to the dock.

12. Sailor Sue

Sailor Sue

Joined Nov 12, 2009
    94 posts, 6 likes
    J/ 32
    US NCYC, Western Lake Erie
    You have to leave those blue tarps open so the boat can "breathe".

shemandr likes this.
  13. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,910 posts, 221 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    From downtown.

14. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    894 posts, 297 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Vagabond 17. Oregon lakes
    Earlier today a crew finally showed up to deliver and set up another "boat-port" for our most recent acquisition (Vagabond 17 day sailer). now I can toss the last of the #@$% blue tarps for good (as soon as I charge the dead battery in my truck that is :doh:).

P1050759.jpg

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!