Registered users don't see ads

Couldn't say it better

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by Brian D, Nov 10, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US Oceanside, Ca MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
  2. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,963 posts, 386 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    Oorah! Happy Birthday Brian!
    Semper Fi

Will Gilmore and Brian D like this.
  3. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    3,547 posts, 351 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US Oceanside, Ca MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    Thank you. And to the many Former Marines here on SBO, Happy Birthday & Semper Fi!

Will Gilmore likes this.
  4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    United State Marine Corps
    DBD115E0-4388-444E-8BBC-B695E25D3722.png

Will Gilmore and Brian D like this.
  5. SailormanDan

SailormanDan

Joined Jan 24, 2009
    336 posts, 53 likes
    1981 Cherubini Hunter 27
    US Alexandria, VA Belle Haven Marina, VA
    As a former soldier, I would have counseled differently, but my nephew joined the Marines and is now at Quantico going through OCS. He graduates next Saturday, hasn't decided whether he wants to go back to Field Artillery or possibly Infantry.

Will Gilmore, jssailem and Brian D like this.
  6. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,623 posts, 368 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    My band, "The Last Call Band" played for the Marine Corps 200th anniversary in 1975. Makes it easy to remember our first gig. We're still playing! Originally, we had trouble learning the songs. Now, the problem is trying to remember them!

7. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,422 posts, 305 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    And on this Veterans Day remember these words, written by a Marine:

It was the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
    It was the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
    It was the Veteran, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to fair trial.
    It was the Veteran, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the Veteran, who salutes the flag, who served under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
    who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-- Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,367 posts, 658 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Ron... From a couple of past joyful experiences I conclude that Marines love parties. They are really party animals. If you can play it loud and throw in a set with the Marine Corps anthem you will be a hit. Memory challenges and all.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    208 posts, 42 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    My father was sailing somewhere in the South Pacific when he found himself on an island where a celebration was going on. There were numerous countries marching in a parade, British, French, Philippine,..., and American armed forces, from their various encampments, all had a company to show off. My father (US Navy) noticed how polished and organized each country's troops were except the Americans. Navy, Army, Airforce and Marines marched in their own squads. Only the Marines turned out in dress blues and marched with professionalism and coordination. He felt the rest of the armed forces showed a lack of respect for their host country as if to suggest the local event was beneath them. He was embarrassed for them.
    I hold a great deal of respect for the Marines. Happy anniversary.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

10. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    1,841 posts, 263 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    GI gravy, Navy beans...

US Navy loves Marines...

Sound off... 1 , 2 , 3 ... FOUR!

Jim...

PS: USNavy Jody Call when marching with Marine Drill Instructors...;)

Will Gilmore likes this.
  11. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,871 posts, 103 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    Happy birthday Marines
    As an Army puke I always enjoyed working with the Marines. They come with the full combat package, infantry, fire support, air support and if you are not too far inland even naval gunfire. Not to mention the logistical tail.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  12. Gene S

Gene S

Joined Nov 29, 2015
    104 posts, 16 likes
    Delphia 37
    US Washington Tacoma
    I remember the Mar Det we had on the Kitty Hawk. They jokingly called us squids and glorified taxi drivers without the beaded seats and we compared them to refuse containers and certain varieties of Gherkins. Good times.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  13. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,113 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    I didn't serve, but have had the privilege of spending time with a lot of Marines through my civil service positions and being a landlord in a military community. They are a special breed.

As to their relationship with the Navy - a former Marine LRP sniper made me laugh one afternoon when he asked me if I knew what the Navy term was for a Marine on a ship. I didn't want to hazard a guess. His answer: "a tree".

Happy Birthday, Marines, and thank you.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Will Gilmore likes this.
  14. smokey73

smokey73

Joined Oct 26, 2010
    440 posts, 54 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Beaufort, SC
    I'm Navy and I remind my Marine classmates that the Marines are a part of the Navy. They respond with a laugh and say "YES, the Marines are the Men's Department of the Navy". We all then toss back an adult beverage and tell stories.

SailormanDan and Will Gilmore like this.
  15. DougM

DougM

Joined Jul 24, 2005
    1,318 posts, 58 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Manistee, MI
    My son’s best friend in high school joined the Marines. He came from a not so well to do, but strong family. The Corps afforded him an opportunity that he never imagined. Starting out as an enlisted man, he made a career out it. Met his wife in Hawaii, continued moving up, became an officer, a true gentleman, and received his college education courtesy of the Marines. Had he not been so fortunate, he might never have left his home state, and would never have had much more than a solid blue collar career.

16. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,623 posts, 368 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    My brother Bob champions "Christmas for the Troops" at the Kennedy Center in D.C.. He works along with actor Gary Sinise. In Bob's opening remarks he said, of the armed forces people, "They are over THERE, doing what THEY do, so WE can be over HERE, doing what WE do.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.