Couldn't say it better

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
As a former soldier, I would have counseled differently, but my nephew joined the Marines and is now at Quantico going through OCS. He graduates next Saturday, hasn't decided whether he wants to go back to Field Artillery or possibly Infantry.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And on this Veterans Day remember these words, written by a Marine:

It was the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It was the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It was the Veteran, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to fair trial.
It was the Veteran, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the Veteran, who salutes the flag, who served under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-- Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ron... From a couple of past joyful experiences I conclude that Marines love parties. They are really party animals. If you can play it loud and throw in a set with the Marine Corps anthem you will be a hit. Memory challenges and all.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My father was sailing somewhere in the South Pacific when he found himself on an island where a celebration was going on. There were numerous countries marching in a parade, British, French, Philippine,..., and American armed forces, from their various encampments, all had a company to show off. My father (US Navy) noticed how polished and organized each country's troops were except the Americans. Navy, Army, Airforce and Marines marched in their own squads. Only the Marines turned out in dress blues and marched with professionalism and coordination. He felt the rest of the armed forces showed a lack of respect for their host country as if to suggest the local event was beneath them. He was embarrassed for them.
I hold a great deal of respect for the Marines. Happy anniversary.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
GI gravy, Navy beans...

US Navy loves Marines...

Sound off... 1 , 2 , 3 ... FOUR!

Jim...

PS: USNavy Jody Call when marching with Marine Drill Instructors...;)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Happy birthday Marines
As an Army puke I always enjoyed working with the Marines. They come with the full combat package, infantry, fire support, air support and if you are not too far inland even naval gunfire. Not to mention the logistical tail.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I remember the Mar Det we had on the Kitty Hawk. They jokingly called us squids and glorified taxi drivers without the beaded seats and we compared them to refuse containers and certain varieties of Gherkins. Good times.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I didn't serve, but have had the privilege of spending time with a lot of Marines through my civil service positions and being a landlord in a military community. They are a special breed.

As to their relationship with the Navy - a former Marine LRP sniper made me laugh one afternoon when he asked me if I knew what the Navy term was for a Marine on a ship. I didn't want to hazard a guess. His answer: "a tree".

Happy Birthday, Marines, and thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I'm Navy and I remind my Marine classmates that the Marines are a part of the Navy. They respond with a laugh and say "YES, the Marines are the Men's Department of the Navy". We all then toss back an adult beverage and tell stories.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My son’s best friend in high school joined the Marines. He came from a not so well to do, but strong family. The Corps afforded him an opportunity that he never imagined. Starting out as an enlisted man, he made a career out it. Met his wife in Hawaii, continued moving up, became an officer, a true gentleman, and received his college education courtesy of the Marines. Had he not been so fortunate, he might never have left his home state, and would never have had much more than a solid blue collar career.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My brother Bob champions "Christmas for the Troops" at the Kennedy Center in D.C.. He works along with actor Gary Sinise. In Bob's opening remarks he said, of the armed forces people, "They are over THERE, doing what THEY do, so WE can be over HERE, doing what WE do.