Could be the end of our club as we know it.

Aug 25, 2015
Hunter 27 Erie
A three year battle has come down to the pending ruling of a judge. We are a non-profit club, no paid staff. The founding members put together a plan and supporting rules in 1973 to make this a "blue collar" yacht club where boating would be affordable for the average guy. Although the dues and dock fees have slowly increased over the years, it remains the most affordable place in our area to have a boat. The members built the clubhouse, improved the grounds from the original swamp they leased from the Port Authority and continue to maintain the club without a paid staff. About 12 years ago the members came up with a plan to modernize the place, they added a pool, big hot tub, outdoor tiki bar and three picnic shelters, but also decided the original fixed docks had to be replaced. They were made from donated railroad rail and pipe that were built during the winter months when the guys could work out on the frozen basin. These guys built a huge new break wall to make the basin larger, it took two years. We joined nine years ago and helped with the removal of the old fixed docks and installation of the new floating dock system. We have a fine looking club now.

Three years ago the local taxing bodies of the city, county and school district did a reassessment of the property within city limits. At that time the annual taxes for the club were roughly $5,000. FYI, our annual operating budget is roughly $200,000, the majority of that goes towards paying off the loan taken out for the break wall and floating docks, that will be paid off in two years. Based on the improvements the members did, we were reassessed at $600,000, taxes went to $20,000 a year. There was a process in place where you could protest the reassessment which we did, but also paid the taxes under protest. We went through the re-assessment panel which got us nowhere. From there we went through an arbitration, during that process we were re-reassessed at roughly $1.2 million, taxes were raised to $40,000 a year. We hired attorneys who started through a legal battle of being unfairly taxed for converted swampland and continued through a couple more judges in the process. At that time the taxing bodies brought in their own attorneys and consultants from the Buffalo area and argued that our floating docks were actually permanent structures and could be taxed as such. The result of that court battle was that our re-re-reassessment was to $2.1 million and the taxes were raised to $80,000 a year. This past week we had the last court appearance with our attorney and consultant where they argued that the floating docks were floating docks, held in place by a series of pins and clips, quick disconnects on the power and water and could be moved in a matter of days. The final chapter is now in the hands of a judge to make a ruling. Should he find for the taxing bodies we will need to pay the $80,000 for this year plus the difference in back taxes for the last three years. A pretty tall order out of a budget that is set up for $5,000 a year. The increase in dues and fees to pay the new taxes will be out of the range of the current membership and will most certainly put us out of business. We should find out what happens in the next few weeks. $20,000 a year looks like a real bargain now but who knew??

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It sounds like somebody in power wants to change the landscape of your area. I'm also struck by the tax rate. Wow! High!

I hope it turns more in your clubs favor (for once!) Craig. Sounds like a local gem that will be lost forever to a high rise marina and or high end housing.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Considering your recent post about acquisitions of harbors in your area, there is an obvious place to look.

Having said that, it sounds like the market will support higher rates so you could probably keep the club going by increasing either the membership or slip fees.

I was just at a meeting at my club on the weekend discussing membership categories and fees. It is a real juggling act trying to keep the membership affordable while maintaining a balanced budget.

mnh

Feb 11, 2017
Craig, I sail out of Buffalo, N.Y. What club are you referring to?

The City does indeed have big plans for the waterfront.

mnh

Aug 25, 2015
Hunter 27 Erie
The Buffalo consultants are the ones that did the most damage this last go around. They cited a club or marina in Buffalo that was recently reassessed which included the floating docks as permanent property.

Aug 25, 2015
Hunter 27 Erie
Our accountant/treasurer is also a member and an accountant by trade. The club is set up, and the income has been carefully structured since we have been there, to pretty much break even. When I was on the board we were told that we can't actually make money or there would be penalties involved. We do have it set up so that any monies left over at the end of a year go into an account that will go towards upgrading our yard equipment (capital expense?) We were also told that once the loan for the dock project is paid off we will have to make a decision to either continue dock fees and dues at the current levels and purchase a new travelift or other equipment or we will need to reduce all the fees to not show a profit.

All of that said, I was not part of setting up the club so I'm not 100% sure about that part. The current situation is NOT based on our income but on the determination of actual property value. We are pretty much land poor and water rich, our basin is easily three times as large as the club grounds which is why we had to limit the membership to 180. We just don't have the room to store any more boats over the winter. The city/county/school district is arguing that our floating docks are actually real property and should be taxed as such.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Jokingly losing money, or not making any, isn't what Non-Profit is about. The Feds and most State/Local Governments do not tax churches and charities for their sponsored charitable activities. If the Catholic Church or Red Cross owns a office building that hey occupy for their charitable activities, they pay no taxes for that; however, if they RENT the building and get income it's treated as non-related business income and the building becomes "taxable".

There a lot of complicated rules of how costs are applied, whether a fee was to support the club or rent space independently, etc., etc.

I'm would assume that your Treasurer who is an accountant that tried to put the Club's position in the best light.

I was just asking.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Our accountant/treasurer is also a member and an accountant by trade. The club is set up, and the income has been carefully structured since we have been there, to pretty much break even. When I was on the board we were told that we can't actually make money or there would be penalties involved. We do have it set up so that any monies left over at the end of a year go into an account that will go towards upgrading our yard equipment (capital expense?)
In the past few years I set up 2 not for profits, one a 501(c)3 a charitable organization and the other a 501(c)7 a social/recreational club. While wading through the application and regulations, 2 points about NFPs were made very clear: 1) While the organization could earn a profit, no individual could benefit from that profit; and 2) the organization could not be used to avoid paying taxes through self-dealing or other financial shenanigans.

As for the first point, the regulations require that upon dissolution of the organization all of the assets must be distributed to other qualified NFPs and not to individuals. For a yacht club, the assets could be sold and the monies donated to an appropriate NFP that shared an interest, such as a marine museum, a community sailing organization etc.

Edit: Fixed a quote tag so the post would display correctly.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
To clarify some misreading, Craig's club is being charged property tax, not income tax. This distinction is the same for a club as for you as a homeowner. Most states (New York?) have property tax exemptions for certain charitable organizations such as churches, and public charities like the Red Cross or Habitat, etc.. There are specific rules about being a public charity, mostly around how much of your donations go to programs. The federal tax rules define the various types of not for profits under IRS code section 501. Not for profit is only one attribute of a public charity, not synonymous. It's doubtful that anyone's yacht club qualifies as a public charity because we operate for our own benefit. Teaching sailing qualifies; sharing the cost of sailing does not.

Sorry Craig, we're all hit by the tax man. It sounds like you guys put up a good fight and got good advice, but your area was improving faster than you were. If the appraisal is right m why not sell for the $2 million and build somewhere else. It doesn't have to be do it yourself this time, and the floating docks can be moved.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
There are certainly things going on in the background that we are not aware of. But to answer the question of selling and moving, not as easy as it sounds. We actually lease our property from the Erie Port Authority, I'm not sure how long the current lease is in place for, I believe 25 years? As part of that lease we also pay a per-slip fee to the city government which I believe comes out to about $34,000 annually. I'm not sure we could break the lease from our side and/or sell the property.

Now, regarding moving the club. There is actually no place for us to go. The land around the bay is pretty well locked up with Presque Isle State Park taking up the north and a combination of private development and privately held lad on the south shore. The only property that is currently vacant is at the bottom of a 200' cliff adjacent to private homes. I couldn't even imagine what it would take to make that work. If you go outside the bay, east and west on the shore, it is once again primarily private land at the base of cliffs. The design and cost of building a new club seems like it would be prohibitive?

All of those things said, there was another announcement last week, this one from the Port Authority. They are reviewing all of their properties and putting together a plan which includes utilization and "possible sale" of certain properties. If that includes ours, it is possible that we may end up actually purchasing it? It is an interesting ride so far.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We actually lease our property from the Erie Port Authority, I'm not sure how long the current lease is in place for, I believe 25 years? As part of that lease we also pay a per-slip fee to the city government which I believe comes out to about $34,000 annually. I'm not sure we could break the lease from our side and/or sell the property.
Why are you paying property taxes on leased property? Shouldn't the Port Authority be paying these taxes?

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
Sounds very familiar. I was Commodore and now Treasurer of a Club, also on Lake Erie, that has gone through and is continuing to go through the same thing. PM me and we can discuss so of the finer details of what we did and are doing. Way too much to put on a public forum. I know you are in a different state, some details will vary. Our lease specifies that we pay any local taxes on our property but the owner is the city. After a quadrupling of our tax bill and 3 years of fighting, we finally got some resolution. Our lease is good to 2035 and there were rumors of lake front development, but that has died. Our Landlord (the city) also broke, was not maintaining most of what the lease said they were to maintain but are now being more co-operative. I would gladly share our experiences with you and perhaps we can help each other with new insights and tactics.
One thing we did was change our lease to remove the 'navigable water' from the lease. Like you we were water rich and land poor. By removing most of the part that is underwater, we reduced our footprint by about 35% and thus not taxes on that part because it became 'public' just like the river or lake.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Here is a model which may work for you guys:
http://www.clearwatercommunitysailing.org/

A "Yacht Club" on public land with a lease that is bellow the current market average ( I'm guessing) brings up an image that would be easy for the general public to not support. Changing the name from a yacht club to a sailing center may garner support through the community. This is particularly true if there are youth programs sponsored by the organization. The sailing center in Clearwater is not too different from your description of your club. You pay a subscription not dues that sort of thing. Sounds like your case may be too far down the road but wanted to offer the suggestion.