couch replacement H41

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I finally did it (see prior post), the couch on the starboard side salon replacement. The wall behind the fixed, non moveable couch with bins was/is not accessible. There is much unused space under, on the sides , behind this loveseat. I removed the couch to find a totally finished sole underneath and wall behind. I copied the construction design of the port settee for the starboard couch/loveseat replacement. Amazing how much more space I have( quadruple) and it was actually fairly simple conversion. When the new cushions are done I will have a much more functional space. Pictures attached.
20181017_090007.jpg
20181017_102742.jpg
20181017_103022.jpg
20181017_104152.jpg
20181017_115033.jpg
20181017_140555.jpg
20181017_140540.jpg

Attachments

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I want to do the same so i can have one more slipping bed, under nav is the best berth.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
OOOO, I like that, great idea and offers better storage than the original drawer.

I have to assume that you have left the ability to access the top of the waste tank with this change?

Last edited:

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
DayDreamer, yes this settee does not encroach on the floor panel adjacent covering the waste tank. I am still waiting on my new cushions. We also gained more than 12" in length because of the shoulders on the couch.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@dakno will you add some additional partitions in the storage area that you have created, to stop items stored there from sliding about when you change tacks? What material is the white material you used? I love the idea of gaining so additional space in the pockets that behind the couch. I would imagine that you had to take the couch apart to get it off the boat, I certainly could see that fitting through the companion way.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
DayDreamer, at this time the plastic bins I have fitted in this space are pretty tight and doesn't leave much space for sliding around and also allows the locking covers to keep everything dry. However we aren't protected against inversions so some type of netting will be required for that. The whole interior will need some work in order to be able to invert without wrecking everything. My definition of a blue water boat is one that can invert without disaster.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
The white material is 1/2" marine plywood with 3 coats of oil base paint, same as the original under the port settee

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
Great idea, it looks good and extra storage is always a bonus.
Where did you find the wood to match the cabin sole?

I’ve always thought the sofa was a waste of space and too small for sleeping. A cushioned bench and possibly a leg extension under the nav station along with the lee cloth would make a nice sea birth.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
TFlight - The wood panel for the riser in front of the settee was leftover from another boat. But, there is enough removable prefinished wood panels behind the couch and the panels covering the side panel storage areas to make this matching riser look like the port settee. The only thing you have to make is the one outside corner post. Any varnished teak or cedar will do. If you want to take a look simply remove the drawer under the couch, remove the 5 short screws holding couch skids to the sole and slide couch towards centerline exposing everything. If you don't want to mess with it simply slide couch back, return 5 screws and put drawer back.

Attachments

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Not shown in the pictures is 2 (1/4") thick prefinished interior plywood panels covering up the exposed fiberglass you see at the junction of wall and floor. Those easily removable panels along with the 2 removable covers over the sidewall storage area provides enough material to make your center facing riser. You will need sub panel to support and glue the finished panels to.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Great job, well done, could you put your foot under the table, so it can be a berth?

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
deepValerio, yes your feet sit well under the nav desk. Also its 28" deep (same depth as the port side ) so its roomy.