Costs to rebuild/replace Yanmar 2GM20

• Thread starter Deleted member 78819
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 78819

Ok folks - Like the title says... If you have repaired or replaced your Yanmar 2GM20, what did it cost you? Just wondering what to budget for this.

Bad day at the lake. Winds died to next to nothing so I took down my sails and started to motor back to the marina. No more than a mile away, I could still see it. I was making about 4 kts at just shy of 2,000 rpm when the engine ran itself up to just over 3,000 rpm and wouldn't respond to the throttle. I was just considering how to kill a run away diesel when it wound down all by itself to idle... then it went back up to 3,000. It was pushing me at a bit over 6 kts at this point and starting to blow smoke, again refusing to answer the throttle. Then it wound itself back down to idle and killed. I didn't try and restart it. The marina hauled me in and got me back in my slip. We have a great mechanic and the marina is the Yanmar rep so I have confidence in them. I just don't know what to tell the admiral it is going to cost me to get her back on the lake... :Liar:

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Why do you think you need to rebuild or replace then engine?

"Assuming" this engine has not been abused and have been taken care of, they are rated to run for 10,000 hrs. This does not mean that you may not have a problem on your way to the end of it's cycle life.

This could be something as simple as the injectors, injector pump etc. I suggest that you ONLY get a repairman than is Yanmar certified, but that is up to you. There are a lot of good diesel mechanics that do not know these engines and can run up some good bills without finding the problem. My experience says that repair rates are about $90-$110/hr.

A new Yanmar 20HP motor is probably going to run around $6,000 - $7,500 plus installation.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
I'm with Steve on this. No way you need a new engine. If theses guys are as competent as you say they'll be able to diagnose and fix it without replacing the engine. Sounds like you have a fuel issue to me.
If they suggest a new engine to you based on what you've said here, RUN to another marina 'cause you're being handed a bill of goods.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
You have an air or fuel problem, not a replace the engine problem. And if you have the engine replaced/rebuilt, without doing the easy stuff first....then you spent $12-15K that you did not need to.

Find a competent mechanic..

D

Deleted member 78819

Air or fuel...

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Right after towing me in to the marina, for free by the way, my mechanic began by telling me that he suspected a problem with a blocked air filter system and would begin there. He told me that he didn't think I would need a new engine or a rebuild as she didn't seize. He explained that the smoke was possibly from the engine pulling air/oil through the valve train which could happen if the air filter failed. Based on other reviews, conversations and the mechanic's reputation I do believe I have a competent and honest mechanic on this. I was just concerned and curious about what it might cost me in a worst case scenario.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
You're on the right track and sounds like you've got yourself a good mechanic to solve your problem. When it's fixed let us know what the result was for others who might face a similar problem.

Good luck.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
sullrich

It has taken me years to learn this, but it may help you long term..

When you encounter a boat problem, try and not go to the most expensive/disaster thoughts right out of the gate..

You may certainly get there, but if you can assess the problem, get confirmation and then make a plan...that plan is usually very successful. I find that if I think too much about worse case, it hampers better judgement.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with the runaway..

all the best

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Air cleaners are User servicable parts

Not to be coming off as a arse but you could check out the basics before you call in a mechanic. The air cleaner box is a pretty simple deal to take off. If you have an inlet air problem that is where it will be
Then check the connection between the throttle cable and the govener perhaps it is loose and just needs one of those screws tightened.
As a boater you are going to learn one of two things. i can do it my self for a lot less or I can get someone else to do it for me for a lot more and still not get the problem fixed.
I'd also note that you will be avalable on the boat when she breaks down at sea while the mechanic will not.

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
What I've learned is to trust Steve Dion. Count how many posts he has on this site. Good luck with the repairs, which sound much more practical than a new engine. A runaway Yanmar cannot calm the Admiral, I'm sure.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Deadline:

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I am NOT always correct and I too have learned a lot from everyone on this site. The exchange of ideas is really invaluable.

D

Deleted member 78819

Update on Yanmar 2GM20F

Hello Folks - Quick update as suggested by Alan on the 22nd. A little more information: The light that was on when I got the first audible alarm was the engine temp light rather than the oil pressure light. The panel is etched and with the glare on the water I couldn't see anything except red and it is a little hard to remain calm while that alarm is going off a foot from your face. So, when I added oil I overfilled the engine. It takes up to three minutes for oil to drain back down to the sump after the engine has been running, or after you add oil, so what you see immediately on the dip stick isn't right. The runaway effect was quite possibly the result of overfilling her and unrelated to the original alarm. The engine probably cooled down a bit while I was messing around calling the marina and adding oil so it didn't go off immediately when I restarted the engine, leading me to believe that oil had been the problem. My mechanic drained the excess oil and topped off the fresh water side of the cooling system, which was low but not critically so. The engine fired up and ran normally in a short test run, well almost so... Not much water coming out the exhaust. He said the filter on the water intake looked ok so he is going to pull the hose off the water intake thru-hull and look for Zebra muscles, which I guess are starting to become a problem for us, or any other obstructions. By the way, my air filter was toast/mushy and most of the foam had disintegrated and been sucked into the engine. The mechanic recommended cleaning up the exhaust system as I'm getting some back pressure that shouldn't be there. He said the back pressure would cause the new air filter to disintegrate too if I didn't clean her exhaust system out, which would then make matters even messier in there. I told him to go for it. Might be back on the water by the weekend. He also told me that the engine sounded normal, he couldn't hear any engine damage, so that's good news.

May 26, 2009
2 t-2 Atlantic City NJ
leaking

I have a 30 hunter ,1978 .The rod that holds the saft may be leaking can I tighen with boat in water?

D

Deleted member 78819

I have a 30 hunter ,1978 .The rod that holds the saft may be leaking can I tighen with boat in water?
Assuming that you are talking about the strut, I don't see why you couldn't. There are four bolts/nuts holding my strut in place. I'm assuming you could even back the nuts off one at a time and put an o ring or some sealer under a fender washer and tighten them back down.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.