Cost for dodger canvas? $1300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Long beach CA - Manly Australia
I got quoted $1300 to replace my dodger canvas on our 40.5 in longbeach. we had our dodger replaced on our boat in Australia for $600 and as far as I can tell this sort of thing is supposed cheaper in the USA.

Is $1300 a reasonable amount? Can anyone recommend someone else to get a quote off in long beach?

Dennis.

timvg

May 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Long Beach, CA
We used Harbor Custom Canvas to redo our dodger, dodger cover, add a bimini, and new sail cover about 3 years ago. Since it was a price for all, I don't recall the dodger price, but was happy with the results and their pricing was as good or better than others I checked.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think that is a reasonable price. We paid about $3600 for our complete dodger 5 years ago. It is all SS frame with 5 zip out windows made with Lexan. They also made covers for the windows.

I would do some research on window plastics before you decide on the final product.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
too much

if you are just replacing dodger and already have poles and snaps then they are just making a copy of your existing unit does that price include removal test fit and adjustments? take your dodger off and take just the canvas to other places and get more prices you may have them leave off some of the snaps and install yourself to get good fit

Dec 2, 1999
A good canvas shop will not use the old dodger as a pattern. Our dodger is 5 years old and it is still tight as a drum. I don't think you are going to get this quality by using an old stretched our piece of fabric.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
From my experience, $1300 is a good price. Make sure you ask for the type of stitching (forgot the name) that doesn't deteriorate in sun light.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
That sounds like a very good price. My cost seven years ago was $2700 with Strataglass clear windows which was a $600 premium. That was in Marina del Rey.

I won't recommend canvas guys since they tend to be a tad unreliable IMHO.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Island Nautical was a long time supplier of dodgers to Hunter. Not sure about your boat but they have most Hunter dodgers on the shelf. And they have to fit right as they are warrantied. Have no idea about cost but worth a call I think.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
I would think that you want to use Sunbrella material, with polyester stitching. You do not want nylon stitching (refer to Don's reply above.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sounds like a reasonable price. Perhaps the materials but labor in the US has never been cheap.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Go for it if they are reliable......I have never seen that low of a price in the SF Bay. As Steve suggested look at the window material. Marine grade polycarbonate or Lexan will result in a firm window, which is easy to clean and durable. Also consider padded window covers to mitigate scratching the windows.

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 38 Honolulu, HI
There are plenty of different canvas people in the SoCal boating community. I highly recommend Tom's Custom Canvas. I have used Dan at Harbor in the past and received a nice job. But when I used Tom's CC I honestly received a custom job. Take a walk over to "BB" and look at my H38. Btw I used Makrolon for the windows. Everything was custom (colors, stitching, piping, windows, zippers and wear patches).

Dec 2, 1999
Polycarbonate/lexan will probably NOT be my first choice in window material when I re-do my dodger. It scratches/abrades easily, cannot be rolled/folded and discolors when left exposed to the sun.

Right after we got the dodger a line whipped up against our front panel and caused an abrasion. Over the next few years we have got a few "dings" in the material. It has also got a crazing effect and has stated to yellow. All of the things that lexan is reported to do.

All of the materials that are used for windows have issues so research before you buy.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The UV resistent thread is called Tenara. Well worth it if you're in a climate with strong sun.

This sounds like a good price to me, but if possible, get the shop to come to your boat, measure your frame, and do the installation. Dodgers can be very finicky to build and fit. I agree with Steve that using old canvas as a pattern is less than ideal.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Last Spring, we replaced all three windows in our dodger using the company who had done the original creation. They used a new window material that is heavier and supposedly more resistant to sunlight discoloring. We paid $250 per panel. They fit perfectly and look terrific. The company is Boat Tailors in Sturtevant, WI.

Sep 27, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Long beach CA - Manly Australia
Thanks guys. The cost comes with window covers. Sunbrella fabric and 40 mil Straglass. $150 option for rubberized Sunbrella 100% waterproof.

kebr

Jun 26, 2009
Hunter 40.5 New Buffalo, MI
I just got my dodger and canvas restitched. The canvas guy used gortex thread. He was it was very strong and won't deteriorate in the sun. It is pricey, but if it holds up, then it is worth it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wow! More wow! Great price. BTW, I also spec'ed GorTex thread. I have no idea if I actually got it or not. It requires some special stuff.

Some day, if you're satisfied, I'll get your contact information for this outfit. I find marine canvas guys to be a source of continual frustration.

Dec 2, 1999
Tenara/Goretex thread is about $120 a spool. The regular polyester stuff is about $15 a spool.

Polyester is also slightly (25-30%) stronger, but that may not make any difference once the thread is a couple of years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.