Correct sheet car placement for 100 jib?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hello!

I have a 1984 catalina 30 with a short jibsheet track mounted on the deck just next to the windows. The correct placement for my 100 jib unfortunately causes the sheet to rub the cockpit coaming and dodger pole on it's way to the winch. Mounting on the outside tow rail obviously solves this problem but prevents me from being able to sheet the jib in all the way when close-hauled.

How does everyone else solve this problem?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Install a foot block about 18 to 24 inches behind the winch. The jib sheet will run from the lead block back to the foot/cheek block before turning up to the winch.... the angle to the winch will stay consistent no matter where the jib lead car is positioned, the sheet will no longer interfere with your dodger hardware, and adjusting the car may be somewhat easier.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Joe's placement of a turning block is spot on... placing a turn BEHIND the winch should allow a fair run from the car in all positions to the turn, and after the turn to the winch.

The key thing to watch is your angles. Foot blocks like to turn line in one axis only. If you need to turn it along the deck and then bend UP at the same time, a decent sized block on a shackle that allows it to align correctly might be better. Frankly I'd try and place a foot block first and try and make that work. But if the angle are bad go to a traditional block on a D-ring deck fitting.

Also watch you angle into the winch. Winches like the line to approach from a slight 5-10 degree angle from below. Too much or to little causes problems.

Resist the urge to try and do this with fairleads. Fairleads organized line, they do not turn them.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
are you running your jib sheet aft through the turning block on the deck and forward again around the winch on the deck?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I'm running the sheet through the car block on the track just next to the windows and then straight to the winch. It rubs the cockpit coming and dodger pole between those two points

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
I'm running the sheet through the car block on the track just next to the windows and then straight to the winch. It rubs the cockpit coming and dodger pole between those two points
i

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i'm a little confused. are you not running your jib sheet aft through the turning block on the deck? do you have turning blocks on your deck? that's how your boat is rigged and if you're not running the sheets this way your boat will never be set up properly and work as it should. i hope you are not trying to run your jib sheet from the car on the deck straight to the winch. find pictures of a catalina 30 and look at how the jib sheet is run to the winch. better yet, get an owner's manual and memorize it.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Yes I am currently running the sheet exactly the way you are hoping I am not. The reason for this is that I can't trim the job in close enough if it is run outside the lifelines. Photos that is we have it run outside the lifelines, but this seems to me to limit the trimming as just described. Can you comment on the specific reasons I should change it back other than it fixing the problem?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i'm really not understanding what you are doing but the jib sheets definitely go INSIDE the life lines along the deck.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
please get a manual from catalina and quickly find another catalina 30 to look at or at least a professional rigger who should instantly figure out what you are trying, why, and how to correct it. catalina made almost 7000 30's all rigged the same way, i believe, so i don't really understand your problem. good luck.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Yes I am currently running the sheet exactly the way you are hoping I am not. The reason for this is that I can't trim the job in close enough if it is run outside the lifelines. Photos that is we have it run outside the lifelines, but this seems to me to limit the trimming as just described. Can you comment on the specific reasons I should change it back other than it fixing the problem?
He is telling you ok to run to track next to your vabin. But then it should go to block on outside track behind your winch. Then back to winch. That way you stay off the coaming

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
He is telling you ok to run to track next to your vabin. But then it should go to block on outside track behind your winch. Then back to winch. That way you stay off the coaming
Thank you. That seems to be the best idea, although in curious to see if the angle from the aft block will be too low. Anyway, thanks for the tips

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thank you. That seems to be the best idea, although in curious to see if the angle from the aft block will be too low. Anyway, thanks for the tips
The placement of the turning block will determine the angle to the winch drum.....the farther you move it back... the less acute the upward angle.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
May I suggest that you gentlemen are confusing turning blocks (big cheek blocks) and jib fairleads (on cars)?

Jul 14, 2015
May I suggest that you gentlemen are confusing turning blocks (big cheek blocks) and jib fairleads (on cars)?
I have both on the same track with garhauer adjustments on the track to move the cars

Jul 14, 2015
Stu, I love your wealth of knowledge and use it all the time. Thanks for your corrections....To be more clear I have these sheets coming off the back of my genoa that go to a pully thingy on a track on my toe rail that has a garhauer adjusting thingy that I adjust based on how much of my genoa I have deployed. I try to adjust it to approximately cut the genoa luff in two. From there the sheet goes back to another pully thingy on the same track that is in a fixed position about a foot to 18 inches behind my winch that is on the cockpit coaming. Then back to the self tailing winch.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
another pully thingy on the same track that is in a fixed position about a foot to 18 inches behind my winch that is on the cockpit coaming. Then back to the self tailing winch
John, as long as the lead is fair to the winch, and, as mentioned, not too low or too high, then all you're doing is using a
P1150246 (Small).JPG
P1150247 (Small).JPG
P1150248 (Small).JPG
jib fairlead car mounted block as a turning or cheek block. They usually aren't used in that service, i.e., to turn the direction of the line. We have two fairleads per side going to a big cheek block on the outside of the coaming.
P1150246 (Small).JPG
P1150246 (Small).JPG
P1150247 (Small).JPG

Sorry about the duplicates.

Pulley thingy??? really....:)