Coronado 35 sloop center cockpit 1972-3

Mar 15, 2019
Coronado 35 San Diego
New owner ar Chula Vista Marina, Ca.
Looking for Shore Power
Main On/Off Switch on board location
Found 30 amp main breaker box in galley wall area but no power to it?
Meter spinning and lights on 12 volt inverter and 12 volt system has power.
Searching for Shore Power Main Switch Location?
Thanks, Bob

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Bob, welcome to SBO.

Typically the main shore power switch is a double 30 amp breaker usually part of an AC electrical panel.

Assuming that you are plugged into shore power, is the power at the pedestal turned on? There should be a breaker at the pedestal, it is easy to overlook this. Or, it might have tripped when you plugged in.

You can try and trace the AC wiring, starting at the shore power inlet, follow the wire as best you can. That will lead you to the main breaker.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Bob... What Dave said...

It can be a bit frustrating. We have all been there. Might help to take a picture and post here. There are a few boat owners that might be able to help but they have a Hunter or a Catalina and while not a Coronado, many of th systems are identical.

Mar 15, 2019
Coronado 35 San Diego
Thanks for the quick response!
I will check Pedestal location for switch.
And trace wires from Shore power receptacle on board.
I know its something simple, just got her this week.
Again thanks for the help.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
One other item to check, the shore power cord, especially if it is a home built cord.

Oct 22, 2014
Congrats on the new to you boat @wallabob102152. The Coronado is a nice boat. Let us know what you find. and how it works out. Suspect once you get inside and start looking at the systems it will fall into place.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Many boats of that era did not come with AC shore power so your system may be owner installed. If that's the case there's no way to know where any of the components are located or if the installation was done correctly. If you're plugged in to the dock and the dock power is on, you'll have to trace the wiring from the inlet fitting to the main breaker. On my 1969 Columbia 36 with what I believe is non factory shore power, there is a double pole breaker hidden in the lazarette a couple feet from the inlet fitting.
I've never had it trip, but if it had before I found it I would have been just as confused as the original poster here.

Oct 22, 2014
My 1974 CAL 35 came with a typical Murino yellow plug and round receiver inside there are 3 wires running to an AC board with a 30amp breaker and a switch that is a 1/2/Both switch.

Mar 15, 2019
Coronado 35 San Diego
Thanks
UPDATE
Pedestal power ON
Power cord GOOD
meter turning and power light on 12 volt charger inverter near 12 volt battery bank
I have the 30 amp 120 breaker on at panel.
BUT, no power to the outlets? I have also reset the GFI receptacles
There must be another Master Breaker Switch?
Still following wites

Mar 15, 2019
Coronado 35 San Diego
Again thanks for input
I'm at Nascar Fontana till Monday
I just figured by chance someone out there has this same design, I have #155 of this built in 1972 registration as 1973 Coronado 35 sloop rig, some of original paper refer to as MS model?
Appears the wiring was updated nicely as boat is in above average condition.
With Perkins 3 cylinder running nicely. Lots and lots of room in a 35 with the queen bed aft.
I WILL FOLLOW WIRES NEXT WEEK.
AGAIN THANKS
and anything that you have to offer as information and or advice PLEASE DO !
1973 Coronado 35 MS Sloop

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Once a/c is coming into boat there is typically a breaker for different uses such as water heater, charger, a/c outlets, microwave etc...... it’s there somewhere. Good luck!

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
meter turning and power light on 12 volt charger inverter near 12 volt battery bank
I have the 30 amp 120 breaker on at panel.
Welcome to the forum.
Are there power indicator lights for the 30A breaker and are they on?
Could the power light on the inverter indicate it has 12 volt power? Inverters convert 12v DC to 120v AC. It's the charger side that needs incoming 120v AC.

There must be another Master Breaker Switch?
A newer safety standard calls for a 30A breaker to be near the boats shore power connector if the there is more than 10' of wire between the shore power connector and AC panel 30A breaker. If someone rewired the boat and were aware of the standard they may have installed a 30A breaker near the shore power connector.

Mar 15, 2019
Coronado 35 San Diego
Thanks for all the input on my electrical questions
I used all of your input and discovered a toggle switch on the 12 volt panel that actually activates the power to the 120 volt plug ins.