Coolant Pump service

Apr 2, 2015
Catalina 36 MK11 Dana Point
Question , is there a periodic service that should be performed on the fresh water/coolant pump on a Universal M35B ,year 2002. Can not find anything in Owners manual for engine . Is there a rubber impeller ?

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
I'm sure you have a rubber impeller inside the sea water pump. I have a Yanmar so mine isn't exactly the same as yours but most pumps if you remove the front plate you will find the impeller. I just replaced mine and the impeller change only takes about 20 min. If all the blades are in one piece. If a blade is missing then you need to search inside the hoses or heat exchanger and find the pieces which can take some time. Owners manuals are not that great on details so go online to a dealer that services your engine and they should have the parts and info on how to do it. My Yanmar parts came with detailed instructions included. Be sure to close the sea water seacock before you start work and open it when finished. The parts for my Yanmar only cost $35 for example but yours maybe more or less plus labor if you have someone do the work.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
The fresh water/coolant pump doesn't normally require any service unless it leaks. The "impeller" is usually made of cast iron (or whatever material the pump is made from).

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
It's just like the coolant pump in your car. If it's not leaking or making noise, leave it alone.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Question , is there a periodic service that should be performed on the fresh water/coolant pump on a Universal M35B ,year 2002. Can not find anything in Owners manual for engine . Is there a rubber impeller ?
The fresh water pump seems to last forever if you take care of the coolant. It has a steel impeller and the only thing to fail is the mechanical seal. About the only maintenance you can do is check the belt for tension, pulley for alignment, and any excessive wear and once this is set, it's unlikely to wander

Ignore it and it'll ignore you.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The fresh water pump seems to last forever if you take care of the coolant. It has a steel impeller and the only thing to fail is the mechanical seal. About the only maintenance you can do is check the belt for tension, pulley for alignment, and any excessive wear and once this is set, it's unlikely to wander

Ignore it and it'll ignore you.
i will add to that the bearings will fail too but as Ralph said ignore it until you see it leaking or making noise