Converting outboard to remote (shift and throttle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is there an aftermarket kit for converting an outboard with tiller throttle and the transmission shifter on the side to twin lever controls? My engine is an 8HP Nissan 2-stroke with electric start. The boat is an H26. If I did this I would also link the engine to the boat's tiller, and presumably remove the engine's tiller. My other option would be to upgrade to a 9.9HP 4-stroke already set up for remote control and sell the Nissan. The new ones I've priced range from $2000 to $2400, and I'd hope to get $700 for mine. Might be worth considering for the additional power and cleaner installation, unless there is a good retrofit available. Also where is the best place to mount the levers in the absence of a pedestal? Tom (don't know why my name doesn't appear in the heading)

J

Joe

Limited options

Hi Tom, Before I bought a motor I researched every outboard manufacturor that I could find. Some otherwise good motors like Honda have no provision for remote start or some other remote functions. The only two 4 stroke 9.9 hp motors that I found that had remote start, shift and throttle capability were the Mercury and Evinrude. As you probably know Evinrude is not currently a very good option for parts and service stability. My '00 9.9 with all the kits for remote controls cost just over $3K. Ouch!, but I wanted everything remote. The controls, cables and pedistal guard from Edson were another several hundred. As a consolation, I do think that it is all pretty good quality stuff and with good care should last a long time. I plan to keep the boat a good while and figured that I'd bite the bullet now and have the use of it right from the start. Also as a result, I didn't sail my boat the first 4 1/2 months that I had it. It took a long time to get everything together and on the boat. Let me know if you want to go that way I can save you some time on part numbers with Mercury etc. Hope this helps, Joe C. in NC '01 H260 Windward Passage

W

William Jowell

Check Yamaha

I believe Yamaha has a 9.9 4cycle that has remote availalbe. Or check with www.rhodes22.com, they provided a 9.9 4cycle with remote with their boats. Their engine was also specifically geared for sailboats -- large prop with slow prop rpm.

T

Tom Wootton

Joe, do the options increase if...

...remote start is removed from the list? I don't mind reaching down to the motor to press the start button. I just don't want to have to look away from where I'm going to adjust speed or shift. BTW your engine/rudder linkage is a first-class job, and I hope to adapt your method to my H26. Mine has a tiller, not a wheel, and the older model has no stern pedestal, but I can probably mount the upper clevis on the sternrail. Thanks for the info. Tom Wootton vessel nameless as yet

T

Tom Wootton

Update

After downlading the current Nissan 8 horse manual, and deternining that the new ones are essentially the same as my 5-year-old one, I found a detail showing the remote controlled version of my engine. It appears to be all bolt-on parts, and my engine has the lugs for it. So far I haven't found a source for the parts but I'll report any progress here. If anyone knows a sympathetic Nissan dealer in N. Fla, I'd appreciate a heads-up. Tom Wootton still unnamed vessel

M

Michael Stephens

dealers

Try one of these: Company Aqua Power Address 39 Hwy. 40W Inglis FL 34449 Phone 352-447-5590 Fax URL Distance Approx. 39 Miles Company Mike's Marine World Address 12401 S. U.S. Hwy. 441 Bellview FL 34420 Phone 352-347-5200 Fax 352-347-5026 URL Distance Approx. 45 Miles Company Jim's Outboard Repair Address 3649 U.S. Hwy. 17 Orange Park FL 32073 Phone 904-264-6680 Fax URL Distance Approx. 49 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.