Converting Main Sail to loose foot

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I think the biggest disappoint I have with my future 310 right now is that I really fell in love with my new sails on my old O'day 25. I love to do a complete set of new sails right away but that will have to wait a few years, or bonuses, which ever comes first. In the mean time I'm wondering about converting the main to loose foot and if anyone has done it yet.

No local lofts for me so everything will have to be sent out unless maybe this is a DIY project. I've never even considered touching or changing sails in the past so fire away.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'll have to look at that next week closer, I thought I need to add a slider at least to keep the clew attached, but maybe I can do a simple rope around the boom through the outhaul grommet?

ha, I just saw this!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I thought I need to add a slider at least to keep the clew attached,
John,

You might find that one is already there, unless you've looked already. I have one on my bolt foot at the clew, not loose footed.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Maybe I have one, I just don't remember. I like to write this stuff down a bit as it helps me remember and I was curious if other 310 owners tried it already. Maybe I'm being dumb, but I was just starting to get comfortable with the sail trim adjustments on my O'Day 25 so now I guess I'll start over.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John, a lot of loose foot mains have a clew strap. It goes through the clew cringle and then around the boom. I've read somewhere a clew strap is stronger than a slug in the track. The slug is made to work in conjunction with the foot rope. If you have a car like @LeslieTroyer I imagine it would be strong enough.
Not hard to sew one up. I've made a couple out of dyneema strap and velcro. On my latest one I sewed in a ring and use a shackle to connect it to the clew.
Here's a pic.
Clew Strap & Out Haul.jpeg

I like to write this stuff down a bit as it helps me remember
I takes tons of photos of the boat while sailing or looking around. Nice to have a question and find a photo to answer that question.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
For some reason our local sail maker doesn’t recommend a loose footed main for a cruising sail. I should ask him why. I know he makes racing sails that way and a lot of cruisers have loose foots.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The bottom third of the bolt rope sail does not attain the same overall shape of a loose foot. This has to impact the airflow. If you look at all the pictures of the a380, there’s a huge shape where the wing attaches to the body.

Aug 1, 2011
I flew my Main for two years with the rope external. Last year I had the foot recut. It should go up the stick in the next month. (Ice out permitting)

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The bottom third of the bolt rope sail does not attain the same overall shape of a loose foot. This has to impact the airflow. If you look at all the pictures of the a380, there’s a huge shape where the wing attaches to the body.
Right. I assume he builds them appropriately. Just not sure why he prefers the bolt rope for cruisers. Worth buying him a beer and asking...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That's right, I recall the strap approach now. I was futzing with the outhaul and vang on the sea trial and just didnt like the resistance and shape.

Love to know the reason to keep a bolt rope for sure.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Just not sure why he prefers the bolt rope for cruisers
I've read that long distance cruisers like the foot attached to the boom and a bit of pocket in the sail that hangs lower than the boom. They use it to catch rain water.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I wouldn't try to convert a footed main into a loose foot. There are other difference in the cut besides the bolt rope.

I also don't have a preference in loose footed over footed. I've sailed both and both are fine.

You don't need a loose foot to do a pack. We are in the process of installing a pack to work with a footed mainsail.

Aug 1, 2011
We're going to see just how well the recut does fly as soon as the ice is off. There's a significant shirt-tail been added, and the top two battens converted to full. The fine folk at North Vancouver spent a bit of time evaluating the shape before the scissors came out.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'll have to look at that next week closer, I thought I need to add a slider at least to keep the clew attached, but maybe I can do a simple rope around the boom through the outhaul grommet?

ha, I just saw this!
Actually, Google "clew strap." This is a common way to attach loose footed sails to the boom, even on large boats. Simple, stronger than a slug, and easier to adjust. And in effect, this is how reef clews are always secured.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I bought a new Main last year. I converted to loose foot. Cost a little cheaper. Ability to improve shape “huge”. A bit more difficult to flake as the foot falls off the boom. I just gather and sail tie.