Converting an old control panel to a new one...

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth

I need someones wisdom on boat wiring. I'm quite handy but lacking in electrical wiring knowledge. I purchased a new control panel to replace my old one however it seems they're completely different systems. The old panel has fuses and the new one I believe breakers. The photos attached show the new panel with red switches and a green back. When I replace electrical devices I usually copy the previous configuration which won't work in this situation. I need to know how to place the old wires into the new panel. So thus far, this is what I think is correct: I place the red positive wires on the leads on the green colored positive bar, the white wires on the old panel are moot since they go to the fuses and then I place the negative main wire on the screw on the negative green bar after of course cleaning all leads. The problem is that I don't know which is the negative wire. Can anyone confirm this or suggest better? Please see new images, thanks!

Addendum: Update: First, thank you everyone who responded and contributed to my post; the sailing community is truly a brother/sisterhood. I decided on a Saturday morning in the cold to go for installing this panel. Using your advice and some common sense I installed all the switches, found the main negative and positive circuits and then attached them to the panel and bingo, everything is working! I now need to figure out how to attached the volt meter to the main panel but otherwise everything is good, thank you. Mark

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Seems straightforward. You have a + and - busses, and individual lugs for power to be applied to each circuit. The rocker switches appear to be breakers because they have "reset" on them.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Plymouth,

I first assumed control panel was for the engine control panel.
You however, are installing a new main boat breaker panel.

If not sure on the correct wiring, ask your boat buddies for a good electrical guy & save yourself
the hassle. For if not familiar & confidant in electrical knowhow for this task,
don't take any unnecessary chances pal.

Remember the adage, "Cause oneself no problems."

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Okay, thanks, so like the old electric panel in my parents house, circuit breakers replace the fuses now in my boat as is the panel in my home. Thanks again.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Seems straightforward. You have a + and - busses, and individual lugs for power to be applied to each circuit. The rocker switches appear to be breakers because they have "reset" on them.
Me too. You're just swapping breakers for fuses. You have a main + terminal on the new panel - put your existing + main feed (Red, likely larger gauge wire), onto that terminal.

Take each individual load (Red wires) and fit to the terminal you want the breaker to switch and protect.

Your neutral (black wires) stay where they are. Is that a ground(green wire) on your old panel? I can't really tell the detail of the connections.

It looks like your new panel has a - terminal(which your old one did not). That may be for the switches if they are bulbed.

Visualize it: Power comes in through one feed to + terminal. It is distributed to each breaker. The wires out of each breaker then feed each load, while protecting the wire from an overload(same as your fuses did).

Check the amperage of the new breakers to see they're sized right for the wires(compare to what your fuses were).

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
From where this thread is heading, it sounds like you need to find someone with electrical knowledge and a voltmeter to help you. He/she does not need to be a pro but the but a mistake from the kind of questions being asked could burn your boat down. Your options would be to hire a pro or invest in a book and a voltmeter (my choice) and learn how to do it. Once you read up on the subject you will know the right questions to ask. There are many on this forum that can recommend a good book. Another option is find someone who knows DC electricity.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
So, would the wires that go to the fuses on the old panel go to the negative side of the new panel?
No. Not knowing the panel, I'm assuming the - on the new panel, is only there for a circuit to energize the breaker indicator lights. Your neutrals to feeds are all on your boats existing neutral buss bar that connects to the - post on your battery.

I agree with the above posts. Get someone you know to help you connect the new panel correctly. Then it will likely make sense to you.

There are some good books out there on this stuff. It's fun once you know what's going on.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
From what I see on the old panel, the green wire (should be red) at the top of the panel feeds the fuses, the white wires from the fuses feed the switches then the power goes out the switches to the circuits on the red "spade" connectors. On the new panel, it seems that the green wire (replace it with a red wire when you do the work to avoid confusion) would be attached to the "+" buss bar.. then the red wires with spade connectors would be on each switch/circuit breaker..The red wire on the second fuse looks like the voltmeter sensing wire..? it should go to the "+" buss on the new panel. The "-" buss should be connected to your "-" bar (black wires on buss on right of picture) with a new black wire .. I think it only carries the current from the indicator lights so it can be like 12 gauge...... but I like others advise recruiting a buddy with a voltmeter and some electrical savvy. It really just takes an instant to ruin many dollars worth of electrics..

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
Every single connection on the old panel is corroded which can lead to high resistance ...excessive heat ...followed by fire. I suggest by one of the many books out there on MARINE wiring, buy the correct splicing tools and some shrink wrap and some pre tinned wire with proper terminals and go to work. None of the wire looks to be the proper (pre tinned). Good luck. The best way to learn is to do it yourself, but learn the proper way to do it. Ask for advice from someone who really knows this stuff.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Often as a sailboat dealer on older boats, I saw too much mickey mouse wiring and told the owner I refused to work on the electrical unless it was ripped out and proper color coding for DC in this case which back then was red(+) and black(-) and trust me this was said when I could not make out heads or tails. Also the proper sizing of the wiring after that. That said some preferred to leave and others left their boats for repairs. Often trying to figure out what was what took more time and the cost were higher just figuring out. Suggestion for a knowledgable person and reading the basic DC wiring are good ones.

One thing to point out on the newer boats on DC wiring. Black (-) has been replaced by yellow. This was due to the fact boats burned up due to the confusion of AC black being hot with DC black(-).

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
take your local U S Power squadron course on Marine Electric systems, M E 101. one of the last guys who took this course locally is now re wiring his whole sailboat 12 v system with brand new wire and breakers, to ABYC standards, and doing a beautiful job of it.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Update: First, thank you everyone who responded and contributed to my post; the sailing community is truly a brother/sisterhood. I decided on a Saturday morning in the cold to go for installing this panel. Using your advice and some common sense I installed all the switches, found the main negative and positive circuits and then attached them to the panel and bingo, everything is working! I now need to figure out how to attached the volt meter to the main panel but otherwise everything is good, thank you. Mark

Attachments