Converted H25 To Cutter Rig

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
After obtaining a code 0 a few years ago, I saw the potential of perhaps running both headsail together. However, with the gap of only 24" at the tack and almost none at the head, the head sails were too close together to power up. This spring I extended the bowsprit to 36" and added a 9" extension at the top of the mast. Now the gap is sufficient to fly both head sails in winds less than around 9 knots. Any higher and it gets a bit too unwieldy. The additional power/speed is noticeable but I need to spend more time getting used to this set up. Another advantage of this rig is while tacking I only need to roll up the Code 0 as the jib continues to provide power during the manoeuvre.

Oct 31, 2012
Hello Dave, the code 0 is a asymmetric tight sail capable for upwind reaching. The luff is as straight as possible, and the sail is flatter than other spinnakers. Due to the flatness of the code 0, it is made with a wire luff for strength, and of a heavier, less stretchy fabric than normal for a spinnaker. Due to the tight luff and flat cut, the code 0 is fitter on a continuous roller furler for easy single handed operation.

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks, I've been trying to upload this photo from my iPad with no success.
Dave, this it the rig I described in the first post.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And a nice shot of a very good looking boat too.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you gentlemen. After my time but can see what you are talking about. That photo summed it up. Thank you. Meriachee, building n scale benchwork starting this morning. May want to pick your brains on that.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hello Dave, the code 0 is a asymmetric tight sail capable for upwind reaching. The luff is as straight as possible, and the sail is flatter than other spinnakers. Due to the flatness of the code 0, it is made with a wire luff for strength, and of a heavier, less stretchy fabric than normal for a spinnaker. Due to the tight luff and flat cut, the code 0 is fitter on a continuous roller furler for easy single handed operation.
You definitely want some curve in your luff to help the sail power up. A very tight luff prevents that. You should see about a foot of sag in the code 0 luff, just like you would in your headsail. Trust me it's much faster.

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Another advantage of this rig is while tacking I only need to roll up the Code 0 as the jib continues to provide power during the manoeuvre.
Ive wondered how you tack with these.. Is is standard to roll up (furl) the Code 0 before you intend to tack, then tack the standard foresail in a conventional manner, then once heading in the new direction, unfurl the Code 0?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ive wondered how you tack with these.. Is is standard to roll up (furl) the Code 0 before you intend to tack, then tack the standard foresail in a conventional manner, then once heading in the new direction, unfurl the Code 0?
In general yes. Typically only very fast boats tack their code 0. Most displacement-speed boats only tack their code 0 when they're using it just to move around in light air, with no destination in mind. The reason is because while the apparent is forward, the true wind is always around 90°, and you're simply going back-and-forth !!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
And if our boats don't qualify for the fastest on the lake, they sure have the most toys. :)

Oct 31, 2012
Yes, you need to furl it up during the tack then unfurl again. With the ability to run with both the Code 0 and jib, the jib provides power while the Code 0 is furlled up. The only exception is during a jibe, but you need your sheets to be in front of the Code 0.