Continuation of rebedding Keel Trunk/lead ballast

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
Thought I would update any following the refit on Selah. We have had extremely cold temps here the last few days which has kept me from trying to make additional progress on laying up fiberglass to re-bed the keel trunk with the lead ballast up to the bottom of the cabin sole. After speaking with West Systems last week I began the initial layup with G/Flex (photos attached). Four hours later, the G/Flex became tacky, I began injecting 105/206 around the outside of the area from which I removed the old epoxy/silica that had cracked. After wetting this out thoroughly, I then began the tedious work of packing bits of fiberglass with more wetting out into the outside area on all four sides (filling this area that was open to the bilge) so that I now have a rectangular box approximately 4" x 8" surrounding the keel trunk. I did get two layers of fiberglass/epoxy laid that evening on top of the G/Flex after filling in the outside edges of the box. My next step is to put fillets around the base of the keel trunk and the interior of the "box." My thinking is that this will allow the fiberglass to mold easily to the contour as I build this area up without trying to make the fiberglass adhere to any 90 degree joints (from what I have been researching through West System Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance, this should make the bond stronger). Thanks for any other suggestions that I may need to consider. The weather will be warmer tomorrow, so I hope to try to complete this particular project before I move on to reinforcing the inside of the compartments on port and starboard where the bulkhead will be attached.
Thanks everyone! James
20190126_131132.jpg 20190126_135710.jpg 20190126_135718.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Looking good, James. I have always had great results with West Systems.

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
Thanks Tom. Later today, I plan to post a picture of Selah's interior when we first got her on salvage and another showing her stripped down to help me identify problems on/in the interior before I start running electrical conduit and then insulation of below deck