Considering Coronado 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leon Bryant

Would like opinion. Is this a good boat for first-timer? I did some sailing years ago, crewing for a friend with a 17ft. Windmill.

J

Jack Walsh

Coronado 15

If you haven't sailed in quite a while, the C15 may not be the right boat for you. It's a dingy class racer with a planing hull. It has an adjustable dagger board also. It's highly unstable and uncomfortable. That said, it's a blast to sail! The crew controlling the jib sheets wears a harness, clips on and hikes out like a catamaran. Balance and feel between crew is very important. One decent puff of wind, someone isn't paying full attention and over you go. It feels like a very fast boat being that you're so close to the water. It's not a boat for day sailing as it's just too uncomfortable. It really is a race boat. If the above is not for you, you might want to consider a C-14.5, C16(I think there's one) or a C22. All three are trailerable(if you get the C22 with the retractable center board) and do well in lake and close in coastal sailing. The C14 is especially easy to sail and stable. It's like a very large Sabot with two sails. There are a lot of 'em out there, so you'll be able to race if you want. Good Luck, Jack

R

Rod

What are you looking to do?

Reviews of particular models of boats always depend on the use of the boat. If you are looking for a stable day sailor to take the family sailing and that's easy to trailer the Coronado 15 may not be the right boat.... but there are a lot of good options our there. Although I sail a C25, for family day sailing enjoyment I'm particularly fond of the Flying Scot (www.flyingscot.com and www.fssa.com). I think the C16 is also a good option for this type of sailing. Boats built for racing probably aren't good choices for those looking to take their family out for a sail and vice versa. The right boat for you depends on how you want to use it. I'm sure if you posted some more details about your plans for the boat you'd get some great suggestions. Also try talking to the group at fssa.com, they are very helpful.

S

Scott

Coronado 15 for first-timer

Leon, I too crewed a Windmill for a friend and now have a Coronado 15. They are similar to sail but the Coronado has more beam, is more stable and in some ways more boat. It will be a challenging boat in moderate winds for a novice. Go for it, you'll grow into it and have fun. Sail a laser or sunfish a few times to learn but buy the coronado 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.