Considering changing from a Westerbeke 21 to a W27

Nov 2, 2014
Hunter 34 Coles Point, VA
My poor engine has finally decided to give up the ghost. I came across a rebuilt W27, it is 7 inches longer than the 21. Has anyone made this type of change? What should I expect? and is it worth the time, energy, and effort to do so? Any additional thoughts? The boat is a 1983 Hunter 34.

Thanks ,
Rory

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rory... More power? That is always a woop woop for a gear head.
Longer block... New hard points for the engine? Will the transmission fit? Can you keep the same alignment for the shaft? Can you fit all the parts into the current engine space? Will you ride bow high with the new added weight? Do you need to repaint the water line? Will the new engine give you that power boat look? Can you surf in the new wake? Will there be Boat Bucks for a new prop?
So many questions come to mind... Then there is the " Oh Wow... look at that new engine... What a beast!!"

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Longer is gonna be tough. I have a 3 GMF and if the W is longer than that, it won't fit. Don't have specs with me, but ya should be able to find them here in the downloads . I know some of the early 34's had 4 cylinder Westerbeke engines, don't know which 4 it was. I only have about 4 inches of space for an engine bigger than the 3GMF

Nov 2, 2014
Hunter 34 Coles Point, VA
Well discovered this will not work. As kloudie1 pointed out, the W27 is 7 inches longer than the W21 and there is not enough room for this engine. Was all excited for no reason at all. So back to the search.