Considering Catalina 320 purchase.

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
As previous owners of a Catalina 30 and 310 we are now considering a 320....don't want to go any larger do to slip size limitations.
Now the big questions:
-Any specific issue to look out for or years to avoid?
-Perkins vs. Universal vs. Yanmar?
-Any general comments on how many hours on an engine should we expect overhaul expenses?
-Other comments?
Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'd take a 320 over a 310 any day. The seating below is way better for lounging in a 320.
This might be an opportunity to recognize that these two boats were designed for two vastly different goals. The C310 is for two people.

The choice is the OP's, and IIRC, he didn't ask for comparisons, only things to look for.

SB, all Catalinas have active owners associations who usually have websites.

www.catalina320.org or .com.

Good luck.

Dec 5, 2010
We did love our 310 and only sold it due to a move a few years ago, like was stated above we do like the extra seating down below in the 320 but you can't beat the v-berth in the 310. Catalina had a longer production run with the 320 so there are many more on the market so for the money (and room below) that looks like the direction we will go....but still looking.

Thanks for the input and I will be checking out the 320 owners page.

SB

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I owned a 320 for 12 years and it is a great boat. As Stu mentions the owners forum is very active and a fantastic resource. The good news is there aren't any pervasive problems to be aware of as long as the PO kept up on maintenance.
The one thing to be aware of is the very early hulls had a shallow bilge which creates the potential for water to get trapped in the stringers. I would avoid these although not a deal breaker. There were also 3 different keel configurations over the run with the shoal draft wing keels. You will actually need to measure the keel to know what your draft is. Don't rely on what's documented in the brochures.

I am very familiar with the boat so if you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck in your search...

Feb 26, 2004
so if you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask!
OK, I'll bite. :) Hi, how are ya?

Question: for Solstice and the OP:

What engine? was the question. I doubt if any had Perkins. Universals, sure. But there is a MAJOR difference between the M25 & M25XP vs. the M25 XPB. Beware. Learn what you're getting and then come back here, please, and we can point you out to the appropriate resources for online info about what engine you actually get with the boat you're thinking of buying.

Yanmars? I thought Catalina only put them in the newer boats, but I did lose track a few decades ago! :):):)

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Stu, I thought a few decades ago was newer….

BTW (by the way…) the 320 is very cool!!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Perkins M30 1993 to 1995
Westerbeke 95 - 96
Yanmar 3gm30f 96 to 2006 them the Yanmar 3YM30
This hull history , while incomplete, may be of assistance.
http://www.catalinazeilers.com/wp-c...alina-320-Hull-History-and-Design-Changes.pdf
The engines for the boats built in California were all supplied to Catalina by Boatswains Locker in Newport,
http://www.boatswainslocker.com/
My boat is an '02, #880 stainless propshaft, Yanmar, full batten conventional main. Most of the MKII boats I've seen use a sectioned mast and in mast furling. The Schaeffer 2100 furlers used on earlier boats (mine included) had no holes in the lower furling drum to flush the bearings, they all eventually freeze up. The replacement drum does have flushing holes (about $250), so check, especially if the furler is a "little sticky".

Dec 5, 2010
I owned a 320 for 12 years and it is a great boat. As Stu mentions the owners forum is very active and a fantastic resource. The good news is there aren't any pervasive problems to be aware of as long as the PO kept up on maintenance.
The one thing to be aware of is the very early hulls had a shallow bilge which creates the potential for water to get trapped in the stringers. I would avoid these although not a deal breaker. There were also 3 different keel configurations over the run with the shoal draft wing keels. You will actually need to measure the keel to know what your draft is. Don't rely on what's documented in the brochures.

I am very familiar with the boat so if you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask! Good luck in your search...
Thanks...the keel info is something I have heard about but need to learn more and plan to carry a tape measure with me when looking at boats.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
OK, I'll bite. :) Hi, how are ya?

Question: for Solstice and the OP:
Hey Stu, doing well--Feeling like we're *almost* over the winter hump and in Spring project mode :)

What engine? was the question. I doubt if any had Perkins. Universals, sure. But there is a MAJOR difference between the M25 & M25XP vs. the M25 XPB. Beware. Learn what you're getting and then come back here, please, and we can point you out to the appropriate resources for online info about what engine you actually get with the boat you're thinking of buying.
Calif Ted has a nice summary of the engine history. Forgot about the Furler issue, however I never experienced this on my '99 vintage boat, but I did take it apart every couple of seasons to keep it from salt buildup.
Also sometime after '97 a larger holding tank was used (19 Gal), although it is an easy swap out if you want the bigger tank in older boats (well documented on the 320 site).

Yanmars? I thought Catalina only put them in the newer boats, but I did lose track a few decades ago! :):):)

Feb 26, 2004
Ted's right, of course, he and Solstice actually owned those boats. Yes, they had Yanmars, I came across one on CF this morning which reminded me about this topic. I was wrong.

WKW

Jun 5, 2013
Oday 22 Candelwood lake
why? If you can tell me the 310 with the same keel as the 320 points better, handles better, is faster and has stronger rigging + winches...then maybe I'll say...the 320 is still my choice. I feel the 310 is a step back in time and that forward cabin with the over rated v-berth does not compensate for the poor layout of the cabin. I was on the 310 and the v berth bed still has the pointy narrow area for the feet...whats the pitch? you can swing your legs out and stand without doing the butt spin. People complain that the C320 aft cabin is a cave? it's a legit queen bed, 2 can stretch out with legs sprawled and hands behind the head with elbows spread out. The aft has lots of light and air (may need a wave slap reducer which is an easy fix for silent sleeping). Catalina 320 wins in the cockpit, saloon and galley....Just a better design all around...Only boat I've been in that can really hold true as "Feels like a much bigger boat than its size". The 310 actually feels the opposite.

Last edited:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hmmm, we sleep with our head at the pointy end in our 310, average size people. I find this a huge bonus. The galley is not the best, limited storage, but the cockpit (as you mentioned) is superb, and it sails quite well.....
My totally biased opinion.

dj

Dec 5, 2010
Wow...interesting this old thread has new life...I started it so for those of you that don’t know we bought a 310. (Same one we owned previously) we love the 310 but also really like the.320 both are great boats and the tie breaker was more about boat condition and equipment for the price not 310 vs 320

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I feel the 310 is a step back in time and that forward cabin with the over rated v-berth does not compensate for the poor layout of the cabin. I was on the 310 and the v berth bed still has the pointy narrow area for the feet..
If you had ever lived aboard a C310, you wouldn't be saying this. We go to bed and read with our heads at the "pointy" end, where the reading lights are. Can't do that on a real v-berth. And the mattress is a Real Mattress, providing many nights of honest comfort. The saloon is smaller than the C320, but comfortable for two people. We like it just fine. Lastly, it seems much bigger inside than any other boat in the 30-32' range that we looked at, and we looked at a lot of them.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I feel the 310 is a step back in time and that forward cabin with the over rated v-berth does not compensate for the poor layout of the cabin
Actually, I felt that the C310 was a progressive design, and the C320 was a step back to a more traditional layout. Our dock mates had a C320, and cruised on weekends, so that boat was perfect for them.
This picture doesn't really show the forward cabin very well, but it is what sold us on the boat.IMG_8678.jpg