Considering adding a Microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Spalding

Considering installing a small 110v kitchen style microwave oven. I do not have a converter (12v to 110) but I thought it would be nice to use when at the dock with the shore line hooked up. Has anyone tried this or forsee any problems?

C

Carl

Microwave

I have had a microwave on both boats and wouldn't do without one. At the dock I use them instead of using up my propane. Last year I added an inverter so that now I can also use it on the water. The microwave I use is a 800 watt model and the inverter is a 1000 watt unit hard wired to it own outlets.

B

Bryan

Make it fit

No problem with the mic. Finding a secure place to put it will be the toughest problem. On my 35, I found a spot on of a locker, where I could just fit a small one (600w). I secured it in place with battery holder straps. Works great on shore, buzzes a little and seems a little less powerful off the inverter but works. I suggest you get one with a latching door that can't accidently open in rough water.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

A couple of suggestions...

When I installed a microwave on my own boat, I put it on a piece of non-skid rubber matting...the stuff you can buy by the roll at Wal-Mart, etc...it's with the rest of the kitchen shelf paper. It hasn't moved in the nearly 4 years it's been there. Granted, mine's a stinkpot, so heeling isn't an issue...and on a sailboat I'd definitely recommend strapping it down...but the non-skid will keep it from slip-sliding in the straps. Be sure that whatever locker you put it in offers plenty of ventilation air space behind it or above it (depending upon where the grill is) when the microwave is in use...otherwise, you can burn out the motor. Get the highest wattage you can find space for...the shorter time cooking more than compensates for the higher power consumption. Finally, I'm partial to Sharp with a turntable. I've owned several--including an "antique" that's still going strong in my kitchen after 15 years--and the one on my boat...they just keep on going forever. I paid around $100 at Walmart for the 1000w model on my boat.

R

Ron

Watts vs Watts

I use a microwave on our H37C with no problems. One thing to keep in mind is the wattage. If you buy a 600watt micro it will draw about 900 watts. The 600 watts is cooking power. Look on the back of the unit for the true power draw. To figure this in actual amp/hrs. remember: Watts divided by volts = amps. A 600 watt (cooking) micro drawing 900 watts of power will consume 75 amp/hrs. (900/12=75) If you use it to pop a bag of popcorn for 5 mins that will consume 6.25 amps (75/60=1.25*5=6.25)At the dock this will be no problem, but on an inverter you may find that using this much of your battery for a bag of popcorn isn't worth it... Ron

J

Jay Hill

In support of Ron's theory...

...a Kenyon butane stove is about $50 with fuel being roughly $1 per can. A "bag" of popcorn is cooked in 5-8 minutes on the "hideaway" stove. Battery Cost in amps: None fuel cost in $: 0.15 Leftover: Gotta clean a pan vs. generate trash On the other hand, I do have a microwave on board for in-port use and is very convenient for heating water/food quickly before the day's sail.

R

Rich Macal

Did it

I have an 85 28.5 to which I added a micro wave a couple of years ago. It is located on the shelf to the right of the sink, directly over the cooler lid. I simply trimmed the teak shelf lip and added a battery hold down strap to keep it in place. The 110 outlet is directly below, so a simple hole in the shelf provides access for the cord. It is only used at the dock and I agree with Peggy a unit with a turn table is the way to go. Look for something small and go for it. Enjoy!

P

Paul Akers

Words of Caution to all.

I am on my second mic on our '88 Legend 37. Two years ago I stepped on deck to do some chores. The power switch was turned on to the port outlets (120v) because I had used the microwave. Shortly, I smelled something from below and investigated to find that the mic had turned itself on. The electronic keypad had failed (this happened twice). The mic was empty except for some plates and toothpicks. What I smelled was the wooden toothpicks on the verge of igniting and were also hot enough to melt the lid of a microwave safe bowl. I immediately replaced the mic with a new one (I was able to find another with the same dimensions). So, a word of caution. Don't always trust the machines. I plug mine in only when used and unplug it after every use.

J

Jay Hill

Good Advice...

...and to make extra sure an electronic keypad does not short itself from extended exposure to humidity, etc., get a microwave with a manual rotary timer. They are still available (I think.) I also never have the unit plugged in unless in use.

T

Thorp Thomas

Did I miss something here?

Back the train up Paul... I think I missed something in my physics class. Aren’t we talking simple microwave ovens here? Last I new a microwave oven is not a heat course, it only emits controlled, directional radio waves that excite molecules in objects and the friction of these molecules bumping into each other causes the heat. The more dense an object the slower to heat, a solid, dry object just won't heat up in a microwave oven. As a test I put a bunch of tooth picks in mine, turned it on high for twenty minutes at the end they weren’t even warm and neither was the plate or the interior of the oven. Of course there is convection - microwave oven that heats the conventional way with the help of a circulating fan as well as standard microwave, but I didn’t think that was the oven in the discussion. So what part of this equation did I miss here?

R

Ron

Thorp

You're right Thorp. You did miss something. Go back to the first post and read forward. I think you confused physics with fire... Good Luck.. Ron

T

Thorp Thomas

Still don't get it

Okay Ron, you’re on... Since physics doesn’t do it for you, please explain how a piece of wood gets to the ignition point in a standard microwave oven.

R

Ron

One for You

If wood doesn't ignite, why aren't there any wooden microwave bowls?? You may or may not have a point, but I'm still going to unplug my microwave. I'd hate to have to tell the insurance company, after a fire, that Thorp said "it's okay"... Anyway, have fun and enjoy the waves..Micro or Ocean.. Ron

P

Pete Albright

More Physics

The microwave emits energy into the interior cooking area. Some things absorb energy better than others. Food with water absorbs well, and in that case everthing works as planned. If there is nothing that absorbs eisily, other things start to heat up. 25 years ago Kappa Eta Kappa, my electrical engineering fraternity, had a microwave that when turned to 0, would skip past to 60 min. Several times the glass plate exploded.

R

Rick ( Colibri)

Use a TOAST-R-OVEN INSTEAD!

We considered a microwave and spoke to several people about how/why they used them. When we cruise or are at the home dock, we entertain with drinks, snacks, etc. We have bagels ar other things like that. We then considered getting a small taster-oven instead because it is much more adaptable to our needs. I got a small Black & Decker version at K-Mart for about $30. We have had it now for 3 yrs and have cruised Lake Michigan for weeks at a time. We use it all the time! When we now discuss it vs the microwave with freinds, they realize the shortcomings of a mic. To install it, I stained a piece of pine, placed the oven on it, marked the 4 corners, attached some L brackets along the corners to keep it steady. I placed the whole thing on the shelf above the sink right next to the wall. I then drilled a hole through the shelf next to the walla nd run the electrical cord down the hole to the outlet. Works great!

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Barbeque grill can be an oven substitute

The ideal setup is an oven AND a microwave...so you don't have to choose between microwave and toaster oven. But I don't have an oven either, just a stove top and a microwave....'cuz IMHO, there are more oppotunities to use a m'wave than a toaster oven. But I have been able to figure out to use my grill as an oven for many things. It takes a bit of creativity and usually plenty of heavy duty foil, and you do have to pay attention!--and but many snack foods, garlic bread, toast etc can be "baked" in the grill...and many of 'em say right on the package NOT to put in a toaster oven. The most important thing is to create a rack that's 2-3" higher than the grilling surface...otherwise things are incinerated on the bottom before they're even hot on top....use foil as the "cookie sheet"...and you'll probly have to turn some things more often....others will take longer to cook 'cuz you keep taking the cover off to turn 'em. Some things that don't nuke 100% very well CAN be nuked halfway done, and then finished in the "oven"...you get the same result as doing it 100% in the oven, but with less time to be incinerated. There's definitely a learning curve, so I'd recommend you practice when you don't have guests till you get the hang of it, or keep plenty of microwave popcorn or cocktail franks on hand as a back up! :)

T

Thorp Thomas

Here's the real piont

Okay... Here's my point. I'm offended when someone tells the group something has happen that is either physically imposable (i.e. a piece of wood catching on fire in a microwave oven) or neglects to mention the product was misused and then others join in to swear to it. This is not a fair evaluation and is misleading. It has always been my position, that household appliances should never be used in a marine environment, whether it is a TV, VCR, blender or what have you. To misuse a product this way violates its design parameters and will leave you at a high risk. Leaving the power on to appliances in a boat while unattended is an invitation to disaster; after all, what’s the point of putting the breaker switches in such an obvious place?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Thorp, what do you suggest..

Thorpe: OK, you made your point but what do you suggest. Where are these type of *marine* applicances such as TV's, blenders, microwaves available. I have my doubts that there are any made specifically for the marine environment. My take on this is when installed and used prudently (not overtasking the circuts and unplugging when not in use) make any of these applicances safe on a boat. This is similar to the AM/FM stereo systems that are suppose to be made for the marine environment. We have had two of them and one for automotive use, all of them lasted as long as the warranty. Finally got a West Marine brand and have had it for five years without any problems.

P

Paul Akers

I'm Back

Wow, I went away for a couple of days and it's like $%^! hit the electric fan. I guess that I'll just reitterate what happened to me and let you decide. All due respects to all participants of this posting but this had a profound effect on me. The mic oven was plugged in. The master port outlets switch was turned on. The microwave started up all by itself (I presume because of a shorted keypad) while I was on deck. The contents of the oven was a microwave-safe dish and its hard plastic cover. A box of toothpicks. I smelled something burning. Went to the oven and found the toothpicks charred and smoking and the plastic cover beginning to melt where the toothpicks were resting on it. Now I'm not a science guru and I don't know the intricacies of microwave technology, but the heat was from something and my assumption is the toothpicks. I'm relaying an incident that happened to me. I don't know the reason but I value my life, family and boat. If I had been off of the boat, who knows what would have happened? I'd rather err in my favor. So now I unplug the microwave. See you on the water ;-)

R

Ralph Johnstone

Hunter does it !

Microwaves on sailboats..............? Must be OK as Hunter includes them on larger sailboats as standard equipment. We have been using the micro on our H310 for two years with no problems .......... shore power only mind you. Treat them with respect and they should last. Regards, s/v Island Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.