Confusing electrical problem

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I replaced the strip with one more robust with better contacts. My fear and concern with other methods was the amount of all the exposed connectors inside the panel. I was afraid of getting a short off the connection vibrating onto one of the gauges.

The boat spent it's first seven years in saltwater but now lives a very gental life in fresh water. I think it makes a difference but I try to do my repairs right for me and the next owner.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good for you.
When I do repairs I think. It is a boat. It is the nature of the boat to be in an unkindly environment. As the owner I can let it decay in these environs or I can monitor the events and intervene as needed, be it repair or replace of things.
When I tire of such experiences it is time to let go of the boat.
It is said:
“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be.”​

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Is the green wire in the picture a ground wire?
?
The green wire on my boat doesn't seem to exist. However, I cleaned the contacts on the oil sender, reset everything, and presto, my tach now works. I have no idea why the oil sender contacts would have anything to do with the oil sender.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have no idea why the oil sender contacts would have anything to do with the oil sender.
Mistype? cerebral confusion? Why would an oil sender have anything to do with oil sender contacts...:yikes:

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I believe the question was Cleaning contacts on oil pressure switch effect on tach. I gotta break out that wiring diagram for this one.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
My tach is wonky too...how did you clean the contacts? What works best, especially since access is tight?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Mistype? cerebral confusion? Why would an oil sender have anything to do with oil sender contacts...:yikes:
It should have read: "I have no idea why the oil sender contacts would have anything to do with the RPM gauge."

KZW

May 17, 2014
I used:
A finger nail file, followed by contact cleaner, followed by a pair of needle nose closing the female connectors a bit for a better friction fit.
It was a royal PITA, because the access is so pour. I wish you the best of luck.