Conduit

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
I have an ODay 302 and had a reputable guy install new mast lights and wiring when my mast was down this winter. I have conduit that comes in section and slides into grooves in the mast. They are 5’ to 8’ sections. The conduit popped out while installing the wire. The guy had a hard time getting it back in. My first sail sections came undone. What I think I have is two section at the bottom on the mast. Anyone have any knowledge around this type of conduit as to why it would pop out. Is there a trick or something to be aware of when installing or is this common for this type of conduit. What I can see lookeded in decent condition. Also do you think it is reasonable to ask the guy to pay for the fix.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Depend on the condition... If he did something wrong, sure ... If hey we're on their last legs and aboubto go anyway.. well... Post a pic so we can more easily see how tonfix

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I also have a 302. In my opinion, I would not fault the installer. You’re talking about 30+ year old plastic. A couple sections of my conduit also came loose and I was unable to get them back in. Ended up pulling it all out and running pvc up the inside of the mast with rivets every couple feet.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
I can understand your opinion. Any insight with the conduit. Anything to look for to indicate it needs replacing, does the conduit need to be installed in a certain way. How many section of conduit does the 302 have. Is there a max wire size the conduit can handle. How is it stalled. Trying to get a better picture of the problem I have.

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
I do not know or remember those specifics. I remember my overall impression being “WOW, what a shitty design!” Of course, I had reached my wits end after a 4 day journey where all I could hear was the incessant clanging of the wires bouncing around in the mast due to said shitty design finally revealing itself.

Built a wooden a frame to remove my mast the next day at the dock!