Condition of Swing Keel

Mar 23, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
Hi,

We have been looking for a Catalina 22 with a swing keel for the past 6 months. We found a 1984 we are thinking of buying. It would be our first sailboat.

Would be interested in your thoughts on this particular keel: it's condition and what may need to be done to it. I believe it has always been a freshwater boat; it has been out of the water and stored indoors for a couple of years.

I have already talked to a surveyor, but don't want to waste the survey fee, if someone sees a reason to walk away from the keel.

Thank You! Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
keel looks pretty good IMO, and spacers have been done, better keel than many on this forum have dealt with...do a comprehensive search, you'll see what you may get into. What you don't see in your pics is the keel bolt, hangers, winch, cable, etc., and all the rest of the boat...others will chime in...

Mar 23, 2018
rpludwig - Thanks for the reply. The winch seems to be in good condition, and the cable has been replaced and looks great. I don't think the bolt or hangers have been done. The rest of the boat looks very good but I'm going to get a survey done just for peace of mind.

I have another question. In the pic attached here, is:
1. Fiberglass
2. Iron

Thanks,
Douglas

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
All I see is need for bottom paint re-do and some rust on the keel, being cast iron, it will rust eventually until you drop it, sandblast & epoxy coat it. Looks well maintained IMO.

Post plenty of pics of the entire boat, there's so many C22 experts here (not me!), you may just save yourself the survey. There are some recent threads here on folks looking at C22's much like you are with which to compare. Good it's a freshwater boat....what year?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I would check the deck for soft spots or water intrusion, and if it looked okay, I'd buy that boat this weekend. I think this is the best time of year to sell a boat, and it might not last much longer.

Mar 23, 2018
rpludwig, I've been reading your thread, very good info. I'm hesitant to post pics or much info, until I have a signed contract (next week). We have agreed on a price, but it's all verbal at this point. I plan to get a survey, for two reasons: 1. I don't know much about inspecting a boat 2. I'm 1500 miles from this boat, and won't get to see it until after it's paid for. So, I'm counting on the surveyor to be my eyes and ears.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very reassuring to know the keel looks good.

Fingers crossed the survey goes well, we are super excited.
Douglas

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If the keel is cast iron, you have no real problem. Likely in a few years, you can buy a cheap sand blaster from Harbor Freight and sand blast it, so you can repaint it. Yes, there is rust stain, but until the rust builds up enough to slow the boat down, there is no reason to mess with it. Rust expands at a 12:1 ratio, so the paint will flake off when it gets bad enough to need tension. You can have a piece of cast iron that has rust flaking off of it, but really have very little metal loss. Sand blasting is the only way to clean off the rust. Grinding takes too long and removes WAAAY too much metal.