Compression post - again

reeder

Jul 12, 2011
Catalina 27 Stockton Lake, MO
I've read the threads, searched the net, and still have questions about the best way to approach replacing the compression post and block for a C27. Anyone with recent experience done this job? What's the best approach - dig the block out from the bilge and work from there or cut the head deck and go in from the top? What materials to use to replace the block? Catalina does not have blocks or pattern information for a 27. Tips for making the post from scratch? I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before attacking the problem. I've already got the starboard bulkhead and old post out. A "There there it will be alright" might help too.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2010
Reeder,

I know how I would approach this but, reading your questions makes me think that this is one time, you need rely on folks with a background to do this project. If unfamiliar with attachments & proper headliner supporting, I would hate to see that in the end, you will end up frustrated & having to pay out more.

Talk to other boaters in your area & maybe they can put you on to a qualified person. This can be done at your dock & not have to use a boatyard. Or, try calling Catalina in Largo FL. & ask if they know of someone in your area that is qualified.
727.544.6681 ask for Warren. Hope this helps pal.

CR

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
wow old thread surprised no one chimed in as said look to factory specs on line, or email pm me I have em, next look up catalina smile you got it but you need to cut and dig out keel stub hope you did afetr all the work your doing ,under post ahead of the keel stub is some blocks of wood glassed in dig thease out a v like wedge, I used starboard and a form and glassed this in with the post jacked up in side of boat mast steped and then dug out the stub core and re glassed in per Cat factory specs not a fun job but oh well I got a brand new 82

reeder

Jul 12, 2011
Catalina 27 Stockton Lake, MO
Old post is right, and the job is done. Thanks dive7mmwet - I used some of your info. I ended up digging out the old stuff from the bilge side, cutting a new bulkhead, and doing other prep with the mast down. Then it got cold and I left the job to others. The yard used epoxied foam - hard enough to park a truck on - for the block and installed the bulkhead. Due to PO repair the keel stub and bolts are in OK shape. It all looks good.