composting toilet

Apr 3, 2016
hunter 34 guntersville alabama
Any owners using composting toilets on there sailboat? I am researching that possibility of changing to one. Your thoughts would be helpfull. I sail a hunter 84 model 34.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Lots has been said about composting toilets. Do a google search on the topic and you'll be overwhelmed. My wife and I installed a Nature's Head on our Beneteau 361 this summer and love it. No smell, easy usage and maintenance. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I've heard great things about them. Especially if used intermittently (sp). For a live-aboard not so much. My friend, James L Nelson (amazing author, buy his books, Vengeful Wind just released) just coverted his boat Paraclete to composting and to this point loves the decision. I may follow suit.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We put a C-head composter on our Seaward 25 a couple of years ago, and it was one of the best improvements we did on that boat. Our Catalina 350 has a pretty nicely designed electric head setup on it, so I recently replaced the Wicox Ctittenden unit on it with a Raritan Sea Era replacement base unit and remote water pump. Replacement parts are few and far between for the Wilcox units, and ours needed some fixing. New boat to us, and I have high expectations for the electric head, but if it doesn't work out I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another C-head.

So, I guess I'm saying it depends. If the boat has a well designed system that works and just needs some repairs, go with what you have and fix it. If no matter what you do, the system still has major drawbacks, then put in a composter and I doubt you'd ever regret the choice. We could go a month on our Seaward without ever needing to worry about pump outs (just deal with getting rid of the urine separately). That does give you a lot of freedom. Never had any issues with odors, bugs, or any of the other horror stories you read about.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
The wifey and I just weekend on the boat, and we were able to go half the summer before emptying the solids container. One poster I've seen (on Sailnet) does indeed use it on their live-aboard boat, and I think he says he gets 4 to 6 weeks between empties with him and his wife.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
My airhead just arrived last week and I started the install this weekend. Probably won’t have a chance to give it a test run until spring but I’ll post my observations then. First impression on the airhead is that it is a nicely engineered piece and the ordering was a breeze. Ordered on a Monday and it arrived on Friday.

I’m putting the unit in a Cape Dory motorsailer that I recently purchased. First thing I did was yank the old head, holding tank, and assorted plumbing. The joint for the pump out had a leak and underneath the holding tank was dried sh*t- nasty!

When we looked the boat over prior to purchase there was the unmistakable odor of sewage. SHMBO said she was ok with the purchase as long as I could make the head smell like roses. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I'd 2nd the C Head. Think I emptied the solid container 3-4 times. I spent close to 90 days on my boat last summer. I would recommend emptying the urine container before heading out :)