Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Used awning track on the boom for my sail pack since my mainsail is rope footed...
Lower awning track is for the full boat cover I am going to make.
The boom is Kenyon, and has the internal 1st & 2nd reefing outhauls.
The tracks have openings for water drainage.
Made a complete new self adjusting Lazy Jack set up for the Sail Pack.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Enclosure framing collapsed nicely for the mast & trailering.
The crutches worked nicely...
Will be stepping the mast with the new mast raising unit, in the next day or so.
The last of the rigging, cabin top mainsheet, boom, & headsail adjustments etc. before splashing it this weekend in Erie.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Was waiting for the SBO elite to ask this...
Quite simply, this is the largest boat berthed in a small marina with an east/west 'fairway' open at both ends, fully exposed to constant west winds. (Throw in reversing east winds having the same effect)
One end being a busy launch ramp and fuel bar, the other straight into the open bay.
Controlling this high freeboard 30 footer with a 6" prop in these conditions is nearly impossible without some form of powered assistance to control the bow, and I value the friendships made over the years with my fellow boaters here.
This coming from an owner of a 30' cabin cruiser with a single inboard (straight shaft prop & rudder) which I have berthed at the same marina the last nine years. Any one who has or has ever handled one these boats, even under docile conditions found in most marinas, knows it takes practice to maneuver them.
Lastly and likely most importantly, the Admiral as most seasoned 'windbaggers' define their significant other, made it clear....
no bow thruster no Admiral on this boat.
Who would argue?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Fellow sailor with a 28 footer in ON installed bow thruster for same reason: marina layout is not really friendly for anything over 26 feet in lenght. The drawback was loss of about 0,7kt in speed. The boat also sits lower in the water due to additional weight of hardware and the batteries.
Couple of observations about your lazybag setup:
- do you have any means to prevent the bag from sliding forward/aft? If not, install some webbing loops at the ends and tie off.
- is possible, run the lazyjacks control to the cockpit. You want them fairly tensioned when raising or lowering the sail

One must obey the Admiral!
Would you mind posting close up photo on your method of attaching the connector to the bimimi/dodgers?

Feb 11, 2012
Fellow sailor with a 28 footer in ON installed bow thruster for same reason: marina layout is not really friendly for anything over 26 feet in lenght. The drawback was loss of about 0,7kt in speed. The boat also sits lower in the water due to additional weight of hardware and the batteries.
Couple of observations about your lazybag setup:
- do you have any means to prevent the bag from sliding forward/aft? If not, install some webbing loops at the ends and tie off.
- is possible, run the lazyjacks control to the cockpit. You want them fairly tensioned when raising or lowering the sail

One must obey the Admiral!
Would you mind posting close up photo on your method of attaching the connector to the bimimi/dodgers?
Yes, aft end of boom...
image.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Was waiting for the SBO elite to ask this...
Quite simply, this is the largest boat berthed in a small marina with an east/west 'fairway' open at both ends, fully exposed to constant west winds. (Throw in reversing east winds having the same effect)
One end being a busy launch ramp and fuel bar, the other straight into the open bay.
Controlling this high freeboard 30 footer with a 6" prop in these conditions is nearly impossible without some form of powered assistance to control the bow, and I value the friendships made over the years with my fellow boaters here.
This coming from an owner of a 30' cabin cruiser with a single inboard (straight shaft prop & rudder) which I have berthed at the same marina the last nine years. Any one who has or has ever handled one these boats, even under docile conditions found in most marinas, knows it takes practice to maneuver them.
Lastly and likely most importantly, the Admiral as most seasoned 'windbaggers' define their significant other, made it clear....
no bow thruster no Admiral on this boat.
Who would argue?]
Don't get me wrong, I'm the LAST guy in the world that would argue with glorious excess!

Was just wondering because IIRC you haven't actually sailed the boat yet, if that is the case all the docking issues are theoretical at this point. And there IS a big performance hit, and the money and time sould have gone to other Admiral-approved projects. Anyway carry, on, I'm a huge fan of epics like this. Just get here on the water. Fast. Life is too short to spend on the hard.

Feb 11, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I'm the LAST guy in the world that would argue with glorious excess!

Was just wondering because IIRC you haven't actually sailed the boat yet, if that is the case all the docking issues are theoretical at this point. And there IS a big performance hit, and the money and time sould have gone to other Admiral-approved projects. Anyway carry, on, I'm a huge fan of epics like this. Just get here on the water. Fast. Life is too short to spend on the hard.
Sailed the boat for a season after purchasing it. It was a huge challenge in our open wind Marina to keep it pointed.
That thruster was the only thing she wanted, after that first season.
As you can see, I've converted a bare bones narrowed beamed 'racer of it's time' into a cruiser....was never worried about losing a knot of SOG. I have speed in my cabin cruiser.
It's entire purpose is relaxation and tranquility with all the creature comforts...
I will happily wave to the Grampian as it passes me if that were to happen, lol.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Looking at your gorgeous dodger got me wondering how you planned to get your running rigging lines back to the three cabin top winches?

Feb 11, 2012
Looking at your gorgeous dodger got me wondering how you planned to get your running rigging lines back to the three cabin top winches?

Those and my custom embroidered C&C logos for the dodger and sail pack are the last thing to be done to it....should have them done tomorrow.