Compare the 35.5 to the 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Endless Good Thread

Yes, it does appear to be an endless thread but it's been a good one! So the 35.5 icebox is in the galley? Hmmm A friend of mine had a 35.5 and he had his under the chart table. But then they were a liveaboard and he was into product development and industrial design. They made a number of tweaks to their boat such as moving the salon shelves out a tad so they could hold more books, added a hard windshield like on the Septer 41 and some European boats, etc. Looking back on it he never said it was 'factory' and knowing his creative bent for design I guess I shoulda known. His chart table folded up to access the icebox (refrigerated) underneath. On the 35 the space under the chart table - for my purpose - is basically wasted. I've pratically never used the swing-out seat to do any 'navigation' there. It's so much easier to flip up the table leaf and do any work on the table because there is more room, better light, and more elbow room. Under our chart table we store things like 'rubber' boots, a water jug, and things like that.

M

Mark Burrows

Phil Herring -- I need your help

Phil: This string has a lot of info that I'd like to capture in a document and save for reference. Do you know if there is a way to do that other than cutting and pasting? Markdb

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Mark

To save any or all info, you can highlight what you need or 'Select All' then copy and paste into a 'Word' document and save it to your 'Docs' file.

S

Steve D

Mark - Print Thread

Mark: If you look at the "Thread" there is an option to "Print Thread" on each post. This will allow you to print it or save the thread to disk.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Markdb - saving as document

Hi Mark, It's taken me a while to recognize the Markdb as you! I'd either (1) email to myself, which puts the data in text form, easily saved to anything; or (2) use the Print link and do a copy-all/paste Or if you have a text editor you could probably copy/paste the source then remove the tags, but i think options 1 and 2 would be cleaner.

M

Mark Burrows

Well aren't I the big dope!

I have never notice that little print thread link. Doh! Markdb Just little ole me.

Jul 1, 1998
Mark - don't feel like the Lone Ranger

Mark - You aren't alone! I never knew what "print thread' did either. I just assumed it would *print*. Never thought about *save*. :{ One of these days I'll have to give it a test drive and see what happens. Wonder what happens with pictures? Just don't want all the web page markups.

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Just goes to show...

that the 35 and 35.5 Legend series is one of Hunter's best! John, my chart table is just about where your's is, starboard, forward of head, without the swing out seat. I've heard of some owners constructing a "shelf" under there, down on the sole, to mount their main A/C unit, still leaving space for your legs under the table. The water heater IS under the galley counter top between the sinks and the ice box. My refrigeration unit is mounted under the port setee, just forward of the galley.

M

Mark Burrows

Its been at least 24 hours

I notice the mast on the 35 had some pre-bend and the top seemed to be tapered: Correct? How does the mast/rig handle adding a backstay adjuster? Is it strong enough? What kind of adjusters have been added? Markdb

Jul 1, 1998
You're Right and You're Right Again!

Yes, the mast does have a bit of pre-bend and, yes again, the top is tapered. How does the mast/rig handle adding a backstay adjuster? GREAT! In fact, anyone WITHOUT a backstay adjuster is really loosing out. When sailing up-wind and the backstay adjuster is cranked up the sails are flatter, the boat stands up better, is less affected in being knocked down in gusts, points higher, and goes faster. All for less than probably a hundred bucks (if the pincer type adjuster is used). Is it strong enough? The stays on the 35 are larger than on the 35.5. Don't ask me why - maybe Hunter got a better price due to quantity purchasing. The backstay is more than strong enough and it seems the rest of the standing rigging is too. If you ever saw the video of the Liberty Cup races (with the 35.5s) you'd be a believer. They were racing in 35kts and just slam-banging the boats around, jibes and everything. Wall-to-wall whitecaps. The boat will take more than you will but you might want to try what they did with 20 year old rigging. What kind of adjusters have been added? The only kind of adjuster I've added is the backstay adjuster and a cunningham. The OEM sail came with a cunningham but my dealer didn't commission it. If one wants to have a cunningham line led aft it is easy to do. Replace the existing Schaefer three-sheave deck organizer with a Schaefer six sheave #504-31. http://www.schaefermarine.com/hardware.asp It has six 2" diameter Delrin sheaves and a black anodized aluminum top plate. Check to make sure the bolt-hole pattern hasn't changed. Since the lines are led aft I replaced all my sheet stoppers with Garhauer rope clutches. These were top-rated by Pratical Sailor at the time and their price was the best bang for the buck. There is an aluminum backing plate that will need to be drilled and tapped for new bolt holes. Use aluminum cutting oil for this. http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=36 For the Split Backstay Adjuster I used a Johnson Marine adjuster with five sheaves. The 38 Series with Delrin shelves is intended for boats under 30ft., while the husky 39 Series with aluminum sheaves is intedned for boats up to 40 feet. Johnson has a note that says: For maximum car release, use a 1.5 to 1 ratio between backstay base width and car height. Example: If a backstay is 5'-car height should not exceed 7 1/2' to 8' in. height off deck. Higher rations may require manual release with aid of boat hook, etc. http://www.metstrade.com/marketplace/mypage/information.asp?mypageid=375 [note: no catalong on-line] On the 35 the adjuster will exceed the 5' height and you'll have to, sometimes, manually push the asjuster up. I've put up with this but there is so much other stuff to work on in life that this is a low priority to fix. I would consider a backstay asjuster and a cunningham a must-have if you like sailing performance. Hope this helps.

Jul 1, 1998
Better Link for Johnson Backstay

This is a better link for the Johnson backstay adjuster. This isn't the exact same model I have (face plate on mine is plain unpiainted stainless) but you can get the idea. http://www.csjohnson.com/pages/online_catalog/marine/page_03.htm

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Re: Backstay adjuster

If I might recommend....instead of the squeeze type adjuster. The big disadvantage to this type adjuster is that as you pull it down the mechanical advantge drops off dramatically. This means with the increasing load the power ratio falls, which is exactly the wrong thing. The highest ratio is needed at the end of the travel. Instead, I replaced the triangular plate with a single 60mm Garhauer air block. At the two bottom corners I placed a 40mm block with a single line sheet stopper in front of each block. Now run a line through one stopper, under the corner block and over the 60mm block and back down the other side. The line needs to be long enough to reach your winches. Now you can adjust your backstay with the lazy winch with all the power you need and be able to blow off tension from either side. Works like a charm with plenty of power.

Jul 1, 1998
Alan Has Good Suggestion

The post I had for the pincer-type backstay adjuster is what I put on my boat - it was *cheap and dirty* as they say. Also, as I mentioned, I do have an operation drawback where it doesn't necessarily always go up by itself. Alans approach is a nice one and his setup would be much easier operationally. A hydraulic adjuster could be considered also. If the existing Maxell 24 winches are moved aft to the secondary position then something like Lewmar 43s could be installed in the primary position. This would then make the 23s available for runing the backstay adjuster.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
John

Actually, I don't have secondaries on the boat. I run the backstay adjuster to the primaries (Lewmar 44's). Using the windward winch because it is always free and can be adjusted with the crew on the rail. I replaced the Schaefer turning blocks with locking Harken blocks for the jib sheets which allows me to switch to spinn sheets with only a set of primary winches.

D

Dave Howard

35.5 vs 34

I liveaboard my 35.5 and the holding tank is a big issue. However, Jim Rushing did a remarkable job of replacing his holding tank with one twice the size (24 gal). I will do the same thing very shortly. It is a project, but Jim did a great job of making it easy and very much less intimidating. So my vote is go with the 35.5.....duh!! Good luck!!

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Dave, totally agree.

The holding tank issue is a pretty easy fix. Have not done mine yet, but we rarely use it and its always empty. We mostly use the boat for racing so the guys just use the stern platform. Once the whole is cut in the aft cabin there is plenty of access.

Status
Not open for further replies.