Compare the 35.5 to the 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 41 DS Punta Gorda, Fl
I am looking at a 1989 Hunter 35.5 and a 1986 Hunter 34. I would love to get some likes and dislikes about these boats the price difference is not much. I have hear a lot about compress post issues with the 34 and about holding tank issues with the 35.5. So if anyone wants to help me out with like and dislikes that would be great.

Jun 3, 2004
I am looking at a 1989 Hunter 35.5 and a 1986 Hunter 34. I would love to get some likes and dislikes about these boats the price difference is not much. I have hear a lot about compress post issues with the 34 and about holding tank issues with the 35.5. So if anyone wants to help me out with like and dislikes that would be great.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
My H34 isn't stock anymore but,

I talk about things like the compression post on my web site. Oh, and a few other things too. But I can't offer a comparison with the 35.5. Hope it helps. Sounds like you have a fun project going on. Good luck too.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
My H34 isn't stock anymore but,

I talk about things like the compression post on my web site. Oh, and a few other things too. But I can't offer a comparison with the 35.5. Hope it helps. Sounds like you have a fun project going on. Good luck too.

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
My H34 is pretty much original.

Its compression post has never been worked on and is in good condition. However, the 1983 H34s have a large foot at the base of the mast, which probably helps spread the load over a large area. I'm pretty sure the 1986 H34s don't have a large foot at the base of the mast. I know little about the H35.5 except that they look very nice. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
My H34 is pretty much original.

Its compression post has never been worked on and is in good condition. However, the 1983 H34s have a large foot at the base of the mast, which probably helps spread the load over a large area. I'm pretty sure the 1986 H34s don't have a large foot at the base of the mast. I know little about the H35.5 except that they look very nice. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

R

Rich

Hey

We own a 35...essentially a 35.5 hull. Actually almost bought a 34 instead. We liked the interior layout better on the 34....at least the way the saloon was designed. However, consider that the 35 has a lead keel (34 iron), 35's faster (better in light air), 35 head is closer to cockpit. Just some thoughts.

R

Rich

Hey

We own a 35...essentially a 35.5 hull. Actually almost bought a 34 instead. We liked the interior layout better on the 34....at least the way the saloon was designed. However, consider that the 35 has a lead keel (34 iron), 35's faster (better in light air), 35 head is closer to cockpit. Just some thoughts.

May 18, 2004
Hunter 35.5 Pepin, WI
Any used boat will require some work

I own a 93 35.5 Legend and have sailed on a 34. Both are great boats. With 35.5 you will be getting a newer design, walk thru transom, great after berth etc. Having replaced my holding tank, I can tell you that it is not an expensive project; however, it will take about a days work. My guess is that it has already been replaced. Any boat of that vintage should probably have the sanitary hoses replaced anyway. The biggest difference that I noticed from sailing on both boats is that the 34 is a tender boat in heavy weather. The 35.5 loves the wind.

May 18, 2004
Hunter 35.5 Pepin, WI
Any used boat will require some work

I own a 93 35.5 Legend and have sailed on a 34. Both are great boats. With 35.5 you will be getting a newer design, walk thru transom, great after berth etc. Having replaced my holding tank, I can tell you that it is not an expensive project; however, it will take about a days work. My guess is that it has already been replaced. Any boat of that vintage should probably have the sanitary hoses replaced anyway. The biggest difference that I noticed from sailing on both boats is that the 34 is a tender boat in heavy weather. The 35.5 loves the wind.

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
Check the Aft Bulkhead

If the holding tank has been replaced, there should be a opening in the aft cabin bulkhead. Check the posts on the 35.5 for details on how to replace. I even included pictures. The 35.5 is a great boat. The only boat that I wish I had instead is the 37.5. Ther is just a little more room in the cabin area.

Mar 1, 2004
Catalina 387 Cedar Mills-Lake Texhoma
Check the Aft Bulkhead

If the holding tank has been replaced, there should be a opening in the aft cabin bulkhead. Check the posts on the 35.5 for details on how to replace. I even included pictures. The 35.5 is a great boat. The only boat that I wish I had instead is the 37.5. Ther is just a little more room in the cabin area.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
If there is not a big price difference Go 35.5

No one likes the iron keel and compression post on the 34 (well maybe Fred duz). The walk thru transon is a pluson the 35.5. The only down side on the 35.5 is that wing keel if you get it stuck. We call them the Danforth keel but there are ones that are worse that this one. There is no difference in speed unless you own one of these: the one you have is faster naturally. (verify by handicap ratings) The 34 will need new thru hull valves, compression post and maybe a rudder if it is original. The Maxwell winches are not wonderful. The Yanmar may have the wrong pitch prop from the factory. Expect cabin leaks, problems with the deck core and cabin sole as well as the holding tank. Generally these issues are common knowledge and reflected in the price. They can be a great value for coastal cruising if you are willing to work on it yourself. Rather write checks? Don't buy the h34!

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
If there is not a big price difference Go 35.5

No one likes the iron keel and compression post on the 34 (well maybe Fred duz). The walk thru transon is a pluson the 35.5. The only down side on the 35.5 is that wing keel if you get it stuck. We call them the Danforth keel but there are ones that are worse that this one. There is no difference in speed unless you own one of these: the one you have is faster naturally. (verify by handicap ratings) The 34 will need new thru hull valves, compression post and maybe a rudder if it is original. The Maxwell winches are not wonderful. The Yanmar may have the wrong pitch prop from the factory. Expect cabin leaks, problems with the deck core and cabin sole as well as the holding tank. Generally these issues are common knowledge and reflected in the price. They can be a great value for coastal cruising if you are willing to work on it yourself. Rather write checks? Don't buy the h34!

R

Ron

I have a 1990 35.5 and would recommend it over the 34. The changes are worth it as stated in the previous listings. Overall it is a better engineered boat. Holding tank is not a big deal if you are handy. However, you will have to cut a hole in the aft bulkhead to remove the tank. I also recommend addressing the batteries at that time and make an access hole in the same bulkhead. The batteries are in a hard to get to location. Also there is problems with the mast wiring leaking. It was a bad design, but one that can be corrected if you pull the mast.

R

Ron

I have a 1990 35.5 and would recommend it over the 34. The changes are worth it as stated in the previous listings. Overall it is a better engineered boat. Holding tank is not a big deal if you are handy. However, you will have to cut a hole in the aft bulkhead to remove the tank. I also recommend addressing the batteries at that time and make an access hole in the same bulkhead. The batteries are in a hard to get to location. Also there is problems with the mast wiring leaking. It was a bad design, but one that can be corrected if you pull the mast.

Jun 3, 2004
Yanmar

The 35.5 has a 24 horse Yanmar the 34 has a 27 horse Yanmar is there much of a difference in these engines?

Jun 3, 2004
Yanmar

The 35.5 has a 24 horse Yanmar the 34 has a 27 horse Yanmar is there much of a difference in these engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.