Companionway Springs - Breaking Often

Mar 6, 2017
Hunter 45CC Everett
Hi - I have a Hunter 45' CC and am having to replace the companionway hatch springs every 1.5 years it seems. Is this normal? There is only one way to install so I don't know that that is it, but I welcome any feedback or suggestions. The boat gets medium to high usage.

Merry Christmas!!
Kirsten

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
Remove the spring covers one at a time and spray with WD40 while raising hatch slowly. This helps. Also see my mod for making the removal and replacement easy and fast.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Are they breaking from corrosion? It does seem like a marine grade spring should last longer than that. Is there suppose to be a stop to prevent over - stretching that might be missing?
If you can, a picture of the configuration would be great.
What has Hunter said about it?
- Will (Dragonfly)

Tiara

Feb 7, 2022
Hunter 45cc Hobart
Hi Could you let me know were to purchase these companion way springs from please I live in Tasmania Australia Thanks David

Sep 15, 2019
Hunter 45 CC Ft Pierce, FL
Hello Kristen

You can purchase the springs on his site I had to change one and then the other before I completed the job

when I ran into issues was lifting the lexan door away from the guide; as you do, the spring, that wants to coil, will try to roll without the door holding it flat. Whenit does, fold then cracks form.
Position the lexan door so rhe spring is fully coiled, remove the spring cover. Slip it, in or out sideways and attach to the bottom of the lexan door. If you try to do it with the coil extended, it will crack and grab till it completely breaks.
I hope this makes sense when you look it over. Feel free to PM me with any questions.