Companionway hatch gap on '83 Catalina 25

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
There's a pretty substantial gap at the top of the companion way hatch. It isn't really possible to extend the weatherboard teak because there's just a tiny bit of space for sliding already, and you can't extend the companionway slides (eyebrows) because the pop-top would hit it when closing. The boat is insanely water tight other than this one spot.

I was thinking about cutting an L-shaped piece of teak and gluing it to the companionway hatch to close that gap as shown in the attached picture.

Can the more experienced people think of pros/cons for doing this? Or are you aware of a better solution?

Attachments

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
lexan/plex might be an option, less work and thinner material, could even put some window gasket on it, if needed. Pretty easy to work with and still not an eyesore.

good luck.

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
What about a canvas companionway cover.
I've been considering that as well and actually measured for it, but I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Human nature is that with every extra step we have to take to launch or dock our boat, the less like we are to complete them and/or the less likely we are to enjoy taking our boat out. Putting the cover on would be a really small step, but it's like beans in a jar - you keep putting them in, suddenly you've got a jar full of beans you have to deal with one at a time each time you use the boat.