Companionway doors for Hunter 356?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Hello sailors,
I have a 2002 Hunter 356. I be said this seasons past....but if I sail one more season removing and installing those darn companionway hatch boards I'll go nutshell!
Ok so I am an experienced woodworker and I have fabricated most everything for years. So making a set of hinged doors is not a biggie. But on the 356 the companionway water channel frame surround is tilted inward-does not sit on a vertical plane. That said, if I install the doors to swing inward I will have a slightly restricted entrance to the cabin. If I design them to swing outward that would defy gravity (they want to fall inward). And with outward opening doors there would be potentially dangerous door edges protruding into the cockpit area. So if there are any owners with a 356 or maybe a 36' Hunter with custom companionway doors I would love to see a photo and hear your comments.
Thanks for your help.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Not familiar with your boat so can't help with the issue about swinging into the cockpit. I made doors for my 410 and do not have that problem.
The first set of doors I made were from teak and made them with styles and rails. They lasted about 6 years but then the joints starting coming apart. So I just made a new set from starboard. I made these from a 3/4" solid piece and cut the center out for the light. These have no joints and are great.
To keep them open I have velcro. The velcro works ok but in sloppy seas I take them off. For a more positive latch I would install a cabin door type latch. A friend with companionway doors has a latch like that on each.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2763.JPG
I have Zarcor and use 3M Dual lock SJ3561 and SJ3562 to secure the doors when open. This 3M product works great and you only need a small piece on each door and the sheet storage area on both sides
IMG_2761.JPG
to keep them secure. We have lots of days and miles on ours and don't have any problems with them being a hazard in the cockpit. If the weather is hot or cold, we don't keep them open when cruising and we run our HVAC full time with genset.