Companionway cover

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
I am installing a companionway cover for a Hunter 23.5, what adhesive is recommended for securing the snaps to the deck? Also any thought on aligning the cover with existing snaps?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
It's been many years since I did mine but I learned some tricks here. Drill pilot holes with the drill running backwards. This reduces big flakes from chipping off. I think I put 5200 or 5400 on the threads. I had to experiment to get the pilot hole the right size. If too small, the fiberglass cracks when putting in the screw.

Not sure if you're asking about alignment when the snaps are existing on the cover or existing on the deck. I've had to do both. For snaps already on the cover, put it in place and tap the snap lightly with a hammer to slightly mar the location on the fiberglass. Mark a few in critical locations (corners, etc) and do those before the rest in between. Otherwise it slips around and won't fit smoothly. For snaps already on the deck, I just laid the cover in place and marked the center of the snap with a dot using a felt pen. I also do this a few at a time to get it anchored in place first.

As I recall, the first snap took a couple of hours, and the last snap about a minute.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look at the Sailrite.com site. They have a kit (that I bought) to pop-rivet snaps and such to deck and cloth- including some way to line them up.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
If you have existing snaps screwed down on the deck I would install snaps on your companion way cover to match rather than using adhesive or drilling into your boat. I installed these snaps last year and they are dead simple. I even installed them while on a sailing trip. You can purchase a small kit with assorted snap parts and the stamp and die to install them. Once you figure out the location for the snap use a very hot nail in a vice-grip (I heated the nail on my boat stove) and melt a hole through the fabric (you can also use an old soldering iron), large enough for the snap pin to fit (usually around 1/8 "). Melting the hole is recommended over piercing or drilling the hole since it will prevent fraying and tearing. Then simply install the two halves of the snap and tap them down using a hammer and the die. More expensive kits have a modified set of pliers to press in the snaps.

May 28, 2016
Thank you, very helpful. I have snaps on the deck, just need to add snaps down the companionway into the cockpit. Thanks again!

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
When I installed the cover for my H19 I found that I only really needed snaps at the corners over the pinboards. Place them so you have good tension and it will lie flat. Also in your measurements allow for the use of something to 'tent' the cover above the sliding hatch to shed water. I used a coated foam can koozie, doesn't need to be fancy!

May 28, 2016
I placed the cover on the companionway before a storm tonight and secured it temporarily with weights and noticed how the water pooled. Great idea with beer koozie!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chris;
I was present when the original companionway cover was designed. You have no idea my involvement with this boat.
When installing snaps, use a small drill bit and the correct adhesive is 5200. There is a quick dry or one that takes 7 days to cure. As stated, take a large drill bit and in REVERSE, slowy bevel the gel coat away. If not the gel coat will crack and come off. Not sure what you would call it but there are bits for that that do not dig into the glass. ask at a hardware store.

You mention there are snaps there already. Could it be from a previous companionway cover? You can order your companionway cover from the forum site as they go to the very same mfg. that made them in the beginning. If you are going to match color with the green stripe, the color for the green is Persian Green.

Since you already have the snaps, I would order the cover without the snaps installed. Generally Ameriseam would send the covers to me with the snap hardware separate.

There were two covers, the standard companionway cover with the aluminum brace that was used and another that simply was covering the hatchway with the slider closed to keep rain out when gone. I found it best to have one set of snaps for both .

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. the existing snaps, do you know which cover it was for.

May 28, 2016
I use a swim noodle as well. Does double duty as a .... swim noodle :)
I use a swim noodle as well. Does double duty as a .... swim noodle :)
Chris;
I was present when the original companionway cover was designed. You have no idea my involvement with this boat.
When installing snaps, use a small drill bit and the correct adhesive is 5200. There is a quick dry or one that takes 7 days to cure. As stated, take a large drill bit and in REVERSE, slowy bevel the gel coat away. If not the gel coat will crack and come off. Not sure what you would call it but there are bits for that that do not dig into the glass. ask at a hardware store.

You mention there are snaps there already. Could it be from a previous companionway cover? You can order your companionway cover from the forum site as they go to the very same mfg. that made them in the beginning. If you are going to match color with the green stripe, the color for the green is Persian Green.

Since you already have the snaps, I would order the cover without the snaps installed. Generally Ameriseam would send the covers to me with the snap hardware separate.

There were two covers, the standard companionway cover with the aluminum brace that was used and another that simply was covering the hatchway with the slider closed to keep rain out when gone. I found it best to have one set of snaps for both .

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. the existing snaps, do you know which cover it was for.

May 28, 2016
I went through the Hunter site and actually bought the hunter green cover which matches the bimini but not the sail cover, eventually I will have it all coordinated. I was advised to get it without the snaps as you recommended. I have snaps that were affixed to the deck for the pop up cover with the aluminum bracket, but not down into the cockpit. I just need to add the snaps going to the cockpit area and will be good to go. Thanks Dave for your help!