Companion way entry steps

Oct 4, 2004
International Offshore 50 Alameda
Any suggestions for covering the entry steps on a "large" power boat (46')?
She is a well kept Chris Craft.

I am involved in a boat that has just had new teak flooring put in and the entry way steps have thin durable carpeting on them. We are considering new carpeting or my preference which is wood with anti-skid pads and possibly a stainless or brass tread strut across the leading edge of the tread. We could also put the struts over the carpet.

Thoughts - ideas or pictures?
Thank you all in advance!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
wood with anti-skid pads and possibly a stainless or brass tread strut across the leading edge of the tread
Non skid is the answer. The leading edge stuff will be a tripping and skid hazard, not such a good idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
a stainless or brass tread strut across the leading edge of the tread
If this is what I think it is, you may find it a bleeding hazard. One missed step, likely on the way down, and there may be flayed skin everywhere. May also be hard on bare foot crew. I would think hard about such a plan.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I prefer real hard wood, with a non-skid in the clear or epoxy what-ever you finish it with. For me this is one place where function absolutely trumps looks. Anything stuck on or sticking to it or up from it - is a no-no for me, as it ALWAYS falls off at the least convenient time.

best of luck

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My step are teak wood steps and never have a problem and just add sea Fins teak oil
every year.
Nick

Oct 4, 2004
International Offshore 50 Alameda
Thanks for the comments.

The tread struts are actually common on a fair number of larger yachts and homes - they typically go over rug and increase both traction and save on wear and tear. They are safe and work well and pose no threat - but they would have needed to be made custom and custom was not in the customers budget at all for step treads. They are basically in this application something resembling a simple brass or stainless steel bar or strip approximately 3/8th wide and 1/4" or 1/8th" high spanning the step. They work well for shoes and are comfortable to bare feet.

We went with a non-skid similar to GU's suggestion of TreadMaster.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Gunni, did a great job and it is safe and looks great!