Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Greetings, I am a newbie here and new to the Catalina family. Just upgraded to a 22 hull #6832 it is a 1977 and fairly well cared for. I just read your whole thread and found that I have many of the same things on my list to do. My first challenge and maybe the most intimidating is putting it on stands from the trailer - still sorting that one out, we don't have access to forks like that. I wanted to say thanks for your efforts documenting your journey.

@jelofam Since I see you are in Lake Guntersville I have to put a plug in for our marine, North Alabama Sailing Marina. We bought our O'Day 25 here and they have been great. They can take your boat and put it on stands very easy with a spot to work on it. You can then move into a slip, which for the area is the best value around. A lot of great people and help. We are in slip 203 and love having the boat ready to sail.

http://sailbrownscreek.com/

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
On another note, I decided to make a cheap sunshade for the cockpit when anchored as I do not have a bimini. Free tarp on coupon from harbor freight and about 5 bucks of elbows and couple of pieces of 1/2 inch PVC and voila. Each arm down to side has union fitting with no glue so can collapse the thing and roll it up. Details on request.
new sunshaded for boat.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
After I rehabilitated the original switch panel and removed the wire nut and bolt ground wire connectors I decided to add a 12 volt outlet to near the panel so I could charge phones, rechargeable blue tooth speakers etc. while underway with motor and alternator putting out (free) power anyway. So there is it is.
power outlet at switch panel.jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Clean-

Curious what the brand on your panel is? Good look and I'll be needing one shortly.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Clean-

Curious what the brand on your panel is? Good look and I'll be needing one shortly.
ditto, still have the original in the stupid location...gonna change it out and likely move it once we step on/break off all the toggle switches!!

Sep 14, 2014
Clean-

It is catalina original as far as I know, left there by PO but looked pretty radical from the back, had to do some soldering and install a led to get the indicator lites working
DSC00047.JPG
repair control panel indicator lights.jpg
. i

Sep 14, 2014
ditto, still have the original in the stupid location...gonna change it out and likely move it once we step on/break off all the toggle switches!!
I have not had a problem with breaking anything off, they are shrouded as you can see or inset maybe is more accurate. Course I spend more time in the cockpit then in the cabin sailing. Har har. But i like the location because I can flip on switches for lites, bilge pump, depth gauge and even reach the swing keel winch handle from the cockpit (again where I am most of the time being a solo sailor).

Sep 14, 2014
But the backside looks much better now since the rewire of the panel All but direct to bilge pump and to 12 outlet around corner now in a wire enclosure on their way to the buss bars on the forward face of the bulkhead below the port aft dinette seat near the battery box location on the port side of the volcano.
New battery group 27 with maintainer.jpg
new panel in boat (3).jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Well it was on it when I bought the boat in 2014 so I will check out the interior and exterior for cat markings and snap a close up to post what I find.

Sep 14, 2014
Well I meant to do as promised but a lady named Irma came to visit my sisters place in LaBelle florida so I had to divert for a couple of weeks to reduce some clutter on her shop roof and barn wall. Back to boating soon.
20170913_152125.jpg
20170913_152025.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Well now a guy named Nate came to visit so again a little time out, stripped boat of jib and boom and put in cabin and double lines and double fenders for the expected up to 4 foot storm surge and at least tropical storm force winds over saturday night. before and after pix plus one of seawall near overlapping still next morning.
20171007_222720.jpg
20171008_072022.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Well an apology is in order, I keep this thread running with bits of projects and a promise to post the whole thing with detail pix. So deal is I will continue to run this thread but with alert about a separate post with details of a particular project. That should make it easier for someone to search for a project rather than comb thru my thread. Lets see how it goes. But the thread itself is useful for a starter owner as it chronicles the things you need to do before plunking it in to the water and going sailing. Working on first detail post. Enjoy!

Sep 14, 2014
Okay here is posting of first detailed project with narrative and photo series. The Title? Shroud Cleat Project ----teaser photo
shroud cleat final.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Another short update, been many a post about typical masthead configurations so I am posting a labeled photo of mine . If you can't figure something out just comment on the companion post under Masthead view. masthead stbd annotated.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Rainy day project, part 2 of making covers for existing cushions in dinette . teaser photo,,details later in separate post.
cushions back in place  (3).jpg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
You must think your current covers are cheesy but you haven't seen mine yet!
Interested to see your take on this... I bought a really good semi-commercial sewing machine off CL over a year ago, still haven't even used it yet. It's a Pfaff, German machine made of all metal, function tests well. The seller sewed together 4 layers of heavy denim to demonstrate it when I purchased it.