Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Tiller extension what a great Idea . Save wear and tear on your pocket book. good postings thanks

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
I have seen a paint brush at west marine almost 3 times al much as home depot. My c22 is a back yard project buy most of my tools at Harbor Frieght seems to work fine with me. As far as your scrupper I would have the same ideas as long as its stainless steel it will work.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Actually its aluminum and has held up real nice for 2 years, minus one that someone coveted and stole. And even if you only get 2 years or so at 1.49 so what, I bought two extra for spares anyway. Here is one in place below my 99 dollar depth finder.
Depthfinder installation.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
I decided to replace a solid plastic chartholder (actually one of those file holders on the outside of office doors) with something softer on my head when sitting in the aft port side dinette seat (aka nav station). Fired up the trusty sewing machine and with a little mesh, some edging and a piece of vinyl lined canvas came up with the following. Attached with snaps so can remove to wash etc. Sooooo much softer on head. Detail sub pictures available if any body wants them.
20170313_160854.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Yeah forgot to mention I sewed up new covers for aft port dinette seat and back.
20170225_104958.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Well the sad truth is the rest of the cushions are the brown plaid ones I picked the colors in the print to transition to them. Then had to corner the market on the fabric (discontinued of course) to stockpile enough to redo all of them on rainy calm days. See pic of potty curtains too.
curtain project 3 final with velcro closures.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Yep with my luck it will go retro, but I can at least impress the NGCC 2017 bunch this year.

Sep 14, 2014
BTW i just removed and trimmed off the top inch of teak board a PO had bolted to the stern and discovered my HIN, now I am trying to get the state of Florida to amend my title , but they are in deep consultation (their words) in how to do that. Will keep you all updated, one of historical issues was boat was registered in Alabama at one time. they don't have titles only bill of sales and registration! Can everyone see the HIN?
HIN on stern (2).jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My O'Day has been in AL since new (1976) and I don't have a HIN on the stern in the location it is suppose to be either. I have the 2 previous owners registrations and it looks like the HIN changed a few times over the years. I'm not going to worry about it right now because as you noted AL is no title just registration.

Sep 14, 2014
Yeah and the tax collector says the wrong number has been on for at least 2 previous owners so it is either hard to change the title or nobody noticed. We get lots of stolen boats resold in florida and many never even check to see if the boat brand and size match the alleged title.

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
In the pic regarding a plumb line, I am more interested in your sail: I just acquired a "new old " main that has a rope bolt rather than lugs, like my old - old sail. Due to lack of free time and low lake levels, I haven't drug Tiger Lilly out of storage to try the new sail. Your sail appears to have the rope bolt AND lugs... makes me wonder if the rope bolt will work with my mast, or if I need to modify either it, or the means of affixing it to the mast in a manner that allows for (intentional) sailing... was this an issue you had, or was this the set up you acquired?

Sep 14, 2014
In theory you could just feed the bolt rope up the slot, I prefer the lugs as it is less trouble to hoist. I inherited the sail as is.

Sep 14, 2014
Just got back from NGCC 2017 and tested out my new dinghy from SeaEagle, only about 500 bucks and trails behind nicely.
2017_0510_101428_003.JPG

Sep 14, 2014
BTW I tore my mainsail at the lowest batten pocket and changed out to my spare mainsail. It also has a bolt rope and lugs. A little redundancy is never a tautological deficiency on a sailboat.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sea Eagle is a decent inflatable for the money. We have one of their kayaks.