Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwaterkmpr

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by Jacktar, Feb 13, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Took a while but got another boater to take a pix of my boat under sail, little small but then it is a cat 22 after all, LOL. Selfie boat.jpg

2. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Just in case you dont know it., the dollar solar yard lights in Walmart have a base just the right size to insert in a winch handle hole when you remove the long stick in the ground shaft. Cheap always on night light for the cockpit when at anchor. Also lights up lower part of boat to make it visible to boaters not looking 30 feet in air when driving around the anchorage at night. Drunk boater avoidance system for only 2 dollars, what a deal.

3. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Just did the spacer trick on the upper gudgeon of my rudder. Used two threaded 1/4 rods to replace outer machine screws then took out center ones and slipped the gudgeon off. Made a 1/4 thick spacer from Starboard and reversed the procedure using 1 1/4 screws to replace the original 1 inchers before the spacer. Last pix is of retainer rope to avoid sacrifices to Neptune of original equipment items! 20190501_112900.jpg 20190501_154012.jpg 20190505_152205.jpg 20190501_112500.jpg

4. Hardhead

Hardhead

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    342 posts, 133 likes
    Catalina C22
    US Solomon's Island, MD
    Looks good. Does this act to reduce weather helm?

5. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Dont know yet, just did it and weather right now here is no good for any helm until Monday. LOL

6. gkmoore

gkmoore

Joined Nov 12, 2015
    77 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake LBJ
    Jacktar,

I haven't read anything about the "spacer trick". What is advantage do you hope to gain?

7. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Apparently racers of cat 22s have put the spacer in to move the leading edge of the rudder a little more forward, it is supposed to help with the tendency to turn to windward when you let the tiller loose. I single hand and use a tiller tamer but even when sails set right and tied off the boat will go to windward if not watched. Check out the catalina 22 forum for earlier posts by others and it even shows up on national org under their technical references section.

8. gkmoore

gkmoore

Joined Nov 12, 2015
    77 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake LBJ
    Thanks for the info Jacktar. I've been on this forum for a few years and don't recall this. I'll do my research; my boat's already in the water for the season but this may be a project for next winter.

Let us know if you notice some improvement in handling.

9. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,812 posts, 1,423 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I was unaware of the spacer trick, but what you say makes sense. Look at the Ruddercraft blade, how the leading edge (left side, in the pic) is moved forward. The entire "wing" is moved forward, actually, just like the spacer trick is doing for your rudder. And the Ruddercraft blade DOES reduce weather helm, I can attest to that much. So I'm a believer in your spacer trick.

[​IMG]

10. gkmoore

gkmoore

Joined Nov 12, 2015
    77 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Lake LBJ
    I've read a lot about the Ruddercraft blade and would like to upgrade, but it is a lot of 'boat bucks'.

I'm getting done with many of my other projects on the boat so perhaps I should save up for this upgrade next year, given the great performance improvement reported by Gene and others.

11. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Well I took the boat out on Thursday last and tacked back and forth on several reaches and even downwind and the spacer really appears to make a difference. I single-hand so will tighten the Davis tiller tamer and run forward or below to do something and by the time I get back the boat has usually gone to windward no matter how well the sails are set for balancing the helm. This time it stayed pretty much on course even while I went forward to bow pulpit! I am amazed how much that 1/4 inch affected the helm. More trials to come but I am a believer. 20190515_150752.jpg

12. Hardhead

Hardhead

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    342 posts, 133 likes
    Catalina C22
    US Solomon's Island, MD
    Any idea how much the 1/4" spacer moved the leading edge forward? 1.5" maybe? Good trick to know-

13. Grotto

Grotto

Joined Feb 18, 2018
    96 posts, 63 likes
    Catalina 22
    Firefly Us Wilmington nc
    Jacktar I assume the spacer is race legal for one design?

14. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Grotto, it was the racing folks on catalina 22 national org that posted the fix originally.

Grotto likes this.
  15. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Brief hiatus from the gulf coast to the pacific watching gals on the beach and thinking about sailing. Hawaii 2016 (17).JPG

ShotgunSlim and Gene Neill like this.
  16. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,812 posts, 1,423 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    Is that why you were heeling fifteen degrees to starboard? :biggrin:

AaronD likes this.
  17. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    791 posts, 356 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Nope two mai tais in photographer!

Gene Neill likes this.

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!